Soft, squidgy and bendy.

In the olden days, car manufacturers, when they ran wiring thru the cars bulkhead from the engine bay to the cabin, either used rubber grommets or occasionally a soft, squidgy and bendy black mastic.  This stuff always remained soft, squidgy and bendy. I have had many potential uses for it over the years but don’t know what it is called.  I could use some right now to seal off some outside lights.  Anyone know what it’s called ?

Dum-dum I think Steve. What olden days of motoring were these then? 

Of course, there is a far greater variety of superior sealers on the market now for sealing outside - from silicone based compounds of all colours, to over-paintable acrylic sealers. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Good point, Gareth. I did intend to be more specific, but I’m not entirely sure. My company car was a Ford Granada Ghia at the time, so does that make it the late seventies perhaps.  Certainly the name Dum Dum does seem familiar, so I’ll try that.

I do remember just how useful the stuff was.  It did not stick to the fingers and remained infinitely malleable at all times.

Thanks for the assist.  Cheers.