Clutch & Gear issues with A3 2001

Penny Crockett

I’ve had issues for a couple of days where the clutch pedal seemed to stick down on one occasion then seemed to shudder.

Got in the car today and I cannot get first, second or reverse gear, any ideas???

could someone advise if the gearbox is connected by hydraulics or cables? 

Hello Penny,

Sorry to hear of your clutch problems. 

Not sure what engine you have, but we had similar - although juddering - issues with our 2006 model 1.6. In that case it was the clutch hydraulic release bearing mechanism, which unfortunately has for many years been housed inside the gearbox bell housing, rather than outside in days of old, so it was gearbox out and a new 3 part clutch installed. 

We found Audi clutch part prices too high, so fitted an aftermarket LUK clutch kit assembly instead. LUK would definitely be the only alternative I would consider if not going with genuine main dealer parts. 

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. What mileage has the car covered? 

Hello Penny, 

Worth spending on?

It’s often worth spending to get a job done if the car is otherwise serviceable - irrespective of value. Of course, spending the money to buy something different is an option, but it could be a case of the devil you know. 

If it were mine, I would at least be getting a couple of estimates before deciding. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Penny,

Yes, I understood, and appreciate that if it will be inconvenient/unacceptable to be without a car while this is being repaired ( local garage have a loan car?) then I guess you will have to find another.

From my side, I still think I would get some costings before moving on, so you know how the economics stack up in terms of what you will get for the car as is  + cost of new clutch, compared with the cost of replacing the car. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.