AC Fault

Deano_W

Hi Everyone,

New owner of an Audi A4 B6 1,9tdi, been kept busy sorting it out after the previous owners garage seemed to know how to invoice but not carry out half of the work.

I am really stuck with my AC after re-gassing the AC system and repairing the High Pressure Switch fault with a new sensor the system still wouldn't function. Further investigation I found that the front of the compressor had disintegrated and I could spin the internal shaft by hand, I replaced the compressor and receiver dryer but after a re-gas have found that the system still doesn't work. I am getting voltage at the compressor 9.6V when turn 'Econ' mode off but the circuit pressure remains static at 5.0 bar.

I was hoping others may be able to share some previous experience on fixing their AC? I have included a couple of screenshots showing the system functioning from VCDS, everything seems to be working but no cold air? 

Thanks in advance for your help

Dean

AC1.PNG

AC2.PNG

Hello Dean, 

‘.......replaced the compressor...’ With new/reconditioned or second hand. If secondhand, it could be a faulty magnetic clutch - quite common. Worth trying eBay listings and you should find replacements there from just under £30 - depending on your compressor male (Delphi or Denso perhaps?) and it’s model. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 6/15/2020 at 7:51 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Dean, 

‘.......replaced the compressor...’ With new/reconditioned or second hand. If secondhand, it could be a faulty magnetic clutch - quite common. Worth trying EBay listings and you should find replacements there from just under £30 - depending on your compressor male (Delphi or Denso perhaps?) and it’s model. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply, I replaced the compressor with a new EIS Compressor (Hella on the box) from EuroCarParts…I'm not writing my chances off it being the compressor still but just wonder if missing something else? 
The fan doesn't kick in but the pressure doesn't rise from 5.0bar at all from the instant the 'Econ' function is disabled so not expecting this to be the issue? If I provide a 12v feed to the fan it also runs but have never had then engine get to a point where they have kicked in despite leaving the engine running stationary it doesn't get above the 90 degrees.

I'm baffled by this one, looking like I will be exchanging the compressor and replacing it again as not sure what else could be the issue.

Thanks
Dean

Hello Dean,

Thanks for the reply. The original compressors are usually robust and relatively problem free, apart from the clutch mechanisms which, it seems, are prone to problems, but you have a good choice of aftermarket clutch suppliers selling on eBay from as little as £30. 

I looked at ECP and found they were selling some at c£108, and I thought they were just too cheap. Not to say they shouldn’t work though. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.