Suspension problem

ShaunAustin

Hi,

Looking for some advice over a suspension problem on my 2015 A6 Avant. Back in March my front offside suspension spring broke. The car is under warranty but Audi were closed due to Corona, so I eventually paid £175 to get it repaired at a local garage in early June.

Everything seemed fine at first, however I've recently noticed that the car is again sagging on one side. Measuring from the wheel arch to the ground, it's about 3 centimetres lower on the offside. I've spoken to the garage who did the original repair and they've said it must be because they used a third-party spring, and I'll need to have the other side done as well so they match.

To me, that is completely unacceptable. Surely when the new spring was fitted it should have been the same or at least compatible with the other side?? 

Should I look to get the new spring removed and replaced with one that matches the near side spring? I don't really want to car to be lower than it was - I want it as it should be!

Any advice would be great! 

Hello Shaun,

I’m not saying your car is sitting level, but heights should be measured from the wheel centre to the underside of the wing, (not to the ground)  with the car sitting on level ground. 

Possibilities;- New spring has now settled, and even fitting a new matching one on the other side, may result in the car not sitting level in the first place. 

Quality of spring? ‘Third part spring’ . New term for me, but tempted to think this is another phrase for ‘aftermarket’, and could equal not good quality. 

The garage must inspect and repair the car, since it assumed that it sat level when the new spring was first fitted - and now 4 months later, it doesn’t. New spring broken again? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

HI Gareth,

Thanks for your advice. I've checked the distance from the wheel arch to the center of the wheel and it's 34cm on the offside and 37cm on the near. 

To be honest, I'm not convinced it was ever right. As soon as it was done I didn't think it was completely level but assumed it was down to my driveway not being level. I've since checked it on a completely flat surface to confirm it's definitely off.  

By 'third-party spring' they basically mean it isn't an official Audi part (which I assume would be significantly more expensive). They didn't mention this at the time but being honest, I assumed it wouldn't be given the price they quoted. I would still expect it to be compatible though. I even stressed to them that it is the standard A6 Avant and not the S Line (which I know will have different suspension) to make sure they fit the right part. 

It's possible that the new spring is broken, and I hope it is as that will be a more straightforward conversation. However, it definitely isn't sagging as much as it was when it originally broke so I'm expecting that it's fine from that point of view.

If I allow them to fit the same spring to the other side, then essentially the front of the car will be 3cm lower than it was originally. This sounds like a big drop to me, which may effect the handling, but I'm not clued-up on this kind of thing to be honest, so if you have any advice then great! I'm hoping they can just fit the correct spring, even if it's more expensive and I have to pay the difference. 

It's frustrating because I only bought the car (used, from Audi) in October last year and it came with a 2 year Audi warranty. The fault happened right at the start of lockdown and Audi promised to call me to arrange "inspection" as soon as they were open. I waited as long as I could before paying for it to be fixed (I wasn't confident the Audi warranty would cover it anyway). They still haven't called me to this day, but, assuming the spring isn't actually broken again, I'll now be unable to take it to them anyway! 

Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated 

Hello Shaun,

Sounds like you have an aftermarket spring, and since you suspected - but since didn’t check - it sounds as if the incorrect dori g was fitted in the fist place, rather than it has subsequently sagged. 

Would I have then fit a similar spring on the other side - No (as you say). 

Would I get them to sort it out by now fitting the correct aftermarket spring?? Depends on your confidence in them. 

Third part spring (aftermarket in my book) or not, it should be compatible with the other side when fitted new. 

If it were mine, I would be getting a price for the part from Audi. Try Audi Parts Direct at Cardiff (part of Mon Motors -were Cardiff Audi) they do genuine parts at discount and mail order. Phil is your man there. Look on eBay for the price of the same aftermarket price, then decide what you are going to do parts wise, then decide whether you get the original garage to have another go, or find another one.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth,

I've been to the garage today and been there whilst they phoned their supplier. It turns out the supplier sent them the S-Line model by mistake, so they're sending them the right one and fitting it at no cost to me. It is an aftermarket part as we thought. 

I did phone both my local Audi and the one you recommended. Audi were £160 and your recommendation was £130. Considering I paid £175 all in the first time around, I guess it makes sense that it was an aftermarket part or it would have been much more expensive when you factor in labour.

I'm now going to try my luck with Audi to see if I can get my £175 back, since it was covered by warranty but they were closed. I won't hold my breath though!

Cheers for your advice. Much appreciated 👍

Hello Shaun,

Glad that at least the mystery has been solved. Let’s excuse the garage’s oversight in not seeing it was wrong before handing the car back to you - we are in troubled times. 

Re warranty? Probably pessimistic, but it would not surprise me if this (not uncommon) issue was treated as ‘damage’ - as say damage to a tyre, but good luck anyway.

Kind regards, 

Gareth.