audi q5 ticking noise

Stephen13

hi. i have just bought an 2016 audi q5 2.0 quattro diesel with 92000 miles . it started making a ticking noise. its been back to the dealer 3 times and he cant get to the bottom of it.. has anyone else ever had this issue or know what it is. i dont think its coming from the engine as you only hear it when the car is accelerating attached a video to hear it

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest HP diesel fuel pump Stephen!   Car seems to accelerate well and probably smooth in power delivery.  Sound is very distinct and clear to anyone with half an ear and it is too easy for garages to say they don't know what it is.  It's their job to find out!  If they genuinely don't know, they should pass your excellent video/audio clip to Audi Technical Services for their professional judgement.so they will recognise the problem and be able to fix it for other customers too.

Garage technical work has been deskilled to the extent that no one knows the cause of any problem unless 'diagnostics' say so.  Conditions arising through wear of components etc are therefore not usually picked up by diagnostics and the technicians are unable to go back to basic principles and work things out.  Suggest you ask garage how they propose to proceed with diagnosing your problem as it definitely needs attention, or monitoring if they assure you that it is OK to run with the condition.    

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My Q5 2.0tdi 2013 makes the same noise but only when slightly turning steering to the right if it’s in a straight line no noise or if I dip the clutch it’s fine. Did you fix the problem?? 

• 5 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 7:44 AM, spanners1974 said:

My Q5 2.0tdi 2013 makes the same noise but only when slightly turning steering to the right if it’s in a straight line no noise or if I dip the clutch it’s fine. Did you fix the problem?? 

Edited by Silvo
Not me

I have Audi Q5 2015, garage confirmed ticking noise not cv joint but some kind of failed valve in exhaust , any ideas please as seems cheap or very expensive 

Hi Chris, if your Audi needs the repair kit the cost of kit = £120.14 + vat fitting approx £48.00 + vat if it needs the exhaust pipe assembly it is £1171.35 + vat and Labour £72.00 + vat. We do need to check it out on ramp first to be 100% sure. Hope that makes sense, regards Ian