L reg audi 16v

Brettus

Hi guys , just joined up the members club as i am now a happy owner of an L reg audi coupe . This car hasnt been started in 11 years so was really looking for some advice on what i should do . Do i start it up or check anythjng mechanical first . Also the drivers side door is stuck closed . There is no battery on it yet . The passenger door did open with a good shoulder however.  Thanks and any advice will be appreciated 

Hello Brett,

Welcome to the forum. As I am sure you will appreciate, the car will need to be thoroughly recommissioned - i.e. the most comprehensive service possible, including renewing all filters, belts and fluids. The brakes will certainly need to be stripped and important items such as pads, linings, discs etc. also renewed, and it is suggested that the brake master cylinder be renewed, or certainly fitted with new seals before renewing the brake fluid. Similar situation will arise with wheel cylinders if the brake brakes are drum. 

Standing for 11 years? No doubt you will appreciate that the car will need a new set of tyres before use, irrespective of remaining tread. 

Simply starting it should not be a major worry, but I would suggest first removing the spark plugs and adding about an egg cup full of Redex down each cylinder, adding a couple of gallons of fresh fuel, and leaving the car stand over night before attempting to start it using your new battery. I would then be switching it off a minute after it starts, then drawing the oil off and  renewing the oil, air and fuel filters before restarting and leaving it run up to temperature. It would also be wise to add Redex to the fuel over the coming months. 

Enjoy. Once you have it recommissioned, it would be advisable to insurer it on an agreed value basis ( advise on where to go can be given) if the car isn’t your main vehicle. 

Just let us know if we can help further.

Kind regards,

Gareth.