Q5 pedal vibration

Audifan1234

I have a 2019 black edition with the 20’ alloys. Overall the car is great but I do get near constant feedback from the road surface thorough the accelerator pedal. The level of vibration varies according to the type of road surface. The experience really detracts from what should be a very smooth driving car. Audi dealership can’t detect the vibration and can offer a comparison vehicle. There is also a level of vibration through the steering wheel at times. 
I understand the pedal is not attached to anything mechanical so could it be the tyres? 

Any advice very welcome. 

Many thanks Craig. That profile is very generous for 20 inch wheels, and should give you good ‘insulation’ from varying road surfaces, so nothing there to point you to a cause, I’m afraid. 

Just to confirm:- tyres are matching in terms of brands and amount of tread? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yes, all Michellin. Should be a good quality tyre. My last Q5 had 19’s fitted and there was nothing like the road surface feedback I have on this one. Audi dealership has road tested the car and can’t detect any vibration. All very frustrating. 

Tried swopping back wheels to front Craig, to see if that makes any difference? 

As said, 55 profile are generous, but were the satisfactory 19 inch fitted with say 60? 

Suspension specs between the two any different? e.g. Sport vs non Sport. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

235/55 were on the previous car. 
255/45 on new car,sorry got the figures mixed up in earlier post! 
Suspension set up the same. Could a softer tyre help, say a Goodyear? Shouldn’t have to consider that though. 

thanks 

Hello Craig. 

235/55 on old model = 129mm of tyre wall height.

255/45 on current model = 115 mm.

So you have 14mm less tyre ‘height’. Significant? Would not have thought so. 

Tyre brands and sidewall flexibility? Others maybe more experienced on this, but I would have thought that the main tyre contributing factors to ride quality would be XL (extra load) - where the sidewalks are less flexible, and of course run-flats for the same reason. 

Are you still confident that neither of these apply to your current tyres - particularly the run-flat aspect? Not always apparent, so worth visiting your local tyre retailer? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yes, confident the tyres are not run flats. It’s not something Audi put on their cars to the best of my knowledge. 
I’ll pop down to kwik fit for a chat, unfortunately you can’t try before you buy with tyres! 

thanks for your comments

Hello Craig, 

I think you are in danger of forming - indeed have formed- a conclusion that your issues are due solely to the tyres currently fitted to your car, when in reality you know the only difference tyre ‘height’ difference between your old model and this is probably an insignificant 14mm.

If this were mine, I would be first swopping backs and fronts (as said) to see if that influences the vibration issue. 

I don’t think I would be visiting Kwik Fit at this stage if I were you, since you are minded that your issues all all tyre brand associated, and changing brands will solve it. Couple this, with KF’s understandable marketing and branch targets, and you are likely to be driving away with a new set of boots! 

I would do this stage by stage, but...

Kind regards,

Gareth.