TTS mk2 DSG vs. No DSG

SeirraBravo

Hello! I'm in the market for a mk2 TTS around 2009 50-65k max miles.

I was keen to get the DSG box as I was thinking two hands on wheel whilst cornering would be great.

Someone has told me that it stands for Dog Sh*te Gearbox and I would be way better off with a manual.

I am hoping to use it as my daily and now am looking to ask this community, please help!

Also is there anything major other than cam belt & waterpump which should be changed at ~60-75k miles I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Sumeet,

I’m sure other will give you the pros and cons or should that be the other way around!?) of these gearboxes. 

On the more general principles, you are looking to buy an eleven year old car and have set your maximum mileage requirement to an example which has covered between 4 to a maximum of 6,000 miles/a. Not very realistic in my book, and very restrictive in terms of choice. 

It obviously follows that such low mileage examples will have been subjected to numerous stop/ starts, more not-up-to-temperature use , and a much higher clutch operation - i.e. not the best of operating conditions. Clutch (release bearings) will certainly suffer over time. 

Cambelt and water pump schedules are not strictly in accordance to mileage, but also to time periods, irrespective of mileage - generally every 5 years. 

Hope some of this might help pending more in depth comment.

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hey Gareth,

Thanks for your response and I think it's made it clear to me that a well looked after car should have had the belts and pump changed irrespective of mileage, so thanks for that insight.

I guess my last car 2005 c class coupe c220 I ran from 100-180k miles and spent so much on parts I was just sick of changing things. Generally speaking I thought lower mileage examples will require less (or are less likely to require) big part replacements.

I wanted something which is quick, looks good, generally reliable, but also IF I wanted to drive for long periods on the motorway would return decent MPG (40MPG). Which I have read these cars can. Slightly less available than the general road cars as well.

The TTS mk2 hit all of those points for me being a subset of TT's in general as well. So then I thought, I'm sick of high mileage, let's see if examples are available for sub 70k? And there are a few. More manual than DSG, so I guess I falsely believed the DSG is more desirable.

I found one very local I'm going to see tomorrow, it's when my car enthusiast friend told me the DSG box really isnt worth touching and will fail at some point. (Although that did contradict some high mileage examples available on autotrader as well).

So given my previous high mileage experience (appreciate I'm comparing an old diesel mercedes, known for high maintenance) and dragging my burden of fear with me here. I thought best to find one under 65k. But would you advise higher mileage as fine so long as servicing is kept up and belts/ water pump changed?

Hopefully the above adds some more context!

Thanks Again!

*Edit I want to use it as my daily!

Hello Sumeet,

Thanks for coming back. Maintained Mercedes petrol or diesel should see 100k miles, sigh, and cover the next 100k with the same effort. Ones which have previously suffered from a lack of maintenance will, like any other marque, soon let you know. 

Some will put all (in caps) their faith in the ‘quality’ of a vehicle, based on its service history. SH is important, but may just equate to a vehicle having spent half a day at a dealer every 18 months or so, and might not give any indication of the way it’s actually been cared for in daily use. 

We have a local executive hire company near to us, and his vehicles can cover around well over 200k in under 3 years. His drivers are queuing up to buy them because they know they have actually had a good and active life. 

I’m not saying low mileage is the reciprocal of this, but they can take a bit of a mechanical hammering via. constant short distance journeys, and of course, the interiors, doors etc.,  have to withstand a far higher than normal amount of getting in and out. 

Anyway, Sumeet, good luck in finding what you want.

Kind regards,

Gareth.