Alloy Wheels - Water Ingress -Damage

Mapesworth

New Audi Q2 (2019) has water ingress damage under the lacquer of all 4 wheels. Vehicle had/has only completed 6k miles but I spotted this whilst cleaning the alloys. I have seen this before on another manufacturers car and was identified as a Warranty Issue. Audi playing hard ball and refusing to accept its a warranty concern, despite noticing another Q2 in the dealership (69 plate) with the same issues. Audi state its caused with road chips but the vehicle has been driven diligently on metalled roads. The wheels  have been independently assessed by a Warranty Manger from BMW and Design Engineers from a another global manufacturer who both state its a Warranty issue and the wheels are not 'Fit For Purpose' 

Its only a matter of time before the water ingress tracks right under the lacquer making the wheel unsightly. Wheel arches on the Q2 show no signs of 'Stone Chipping'

I am considering ALL areas to get Audi to recognise this as a warranty concern. Please check your alloys.

Osf alloy closeup2.jpg

Nsf alloy close up.jpg

Nsf alloy (1).jpg

Hello Neil,

Many thanks for being in touch and sharing your experiences.

Could I ask:- Have you owned the car from new, and how is it cleaned? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi Gareth

I have had the vehicle from new.

I have only used approved Audi products on the vehicle that I bought from the dealership. I have more images, the Audi garage took the images with a microscope.

I have other vehicles, one is a 69 plate motorhome who's alloy wheels are immaculate, also another vehicle who's alloys are in very good condition considering its age. Audi are in denial that this is a warranty concern. If they continue to deny it then surely as my friends who are chassis/Alloy wheel design engineers stated, the wheels are not fit for purpose.

Many Thanks

Neil 

Many thanks for the additional helpful detail Neil.

I guess your answer points to the car having always been cleaned by yourself, and never by commercial vehicle cleaners - correct?  The only other questions I can ask is:- is the car washed by the old fashioned bucket and hose method, or is it sometimes supplemented by the use of pressure washers? And - do you use alloy wheel cleaner as part of your cleaning regime. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

The vehicle was always washed by myself as its a new vehicle, the products used were Audi wheel cleaner and shampoo etc. (I am so glad I used these products as purchased in the dealership)

I actually have a water softener installed in my home, so the water is silky soft which is 100% better than hard water. Don't use the Pressure Washer as I have a new Motorhome and have to be very vigilant when cleaning, and usually wash the two vehicles on the same day.

Text book Gareth, that's the concern. Most drivers dont actually wash their own vehicles by hand and therefore dont get up close and personal with their vehicles until its glaringly obvious any issues or concerns with bodywork/chassis/alloys etc.

If you want or need the other images please dont hesitate to ask. They look like very small blisters to the naked eye, but its actually water ingress under the lacquer, people could mistake them for lacquer or paint anomalies until they get really bad...

KR

Neil

Many thanks Neil,

Well, it has to be said that yes, you are indeed a text book car cleaner! 

Way forward? If you are determined to peruse this with VAG on a warranty basis - and why not?- then I think you are going to need the assistance of my good friend Percy Verance, but if that is your quest, then again why not. 

The final resolution may be via. the Small Claims Court, backed by reports and court visits from your expert friends, and my guess is that VAG may back down at that stage, take the car off you for a couple of days, and get the offending wheels refinished. 

It probably boils down to the the worth of the hassle factor vs. the potential gain, and only you can decide if the battle is worth fighting - compared with getting your friends (or their contacts) to do a paint rectification job for you at preferential rates. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you Gareth

Audi have dismissed me stating that the damage was caused by stone chips. (None of their chassis engineers have actually seen the wheels)

When the vehicle was purchased they sold me a Wheel and Tyre insurance cover. (Funny that isn't it?)  They immediately told me to claim off those, I have submitted a claim hoping that they independently assess the damage and point the blame squarely at Audi. I feel it wrong on all levels to release Audi of their responsibilities and for them to fob their customers off. 

I would appreciate Percy's contact details and opinion on this.

I am definitely not ruling out legal proceedings, but I have given Audi enough opportunities to sort this out.

Kindest regards

Neil

Sounds like it’s game-on in the battle against Audi then Neil ! 

Since Audi has sold you wheel insurance (with a nice commission) then you have a zero cost (Audi) route to rectifying the problem. To many/most? that would be the all important and minimum hassle consideration, and it would be job done. 

Of course, if it’s important to spank Audi’s bum, (but with the same visual end result as far as your wheels are concerned), then that is a totally different consideration, and it is indeed ‘let battle commence’. 

Percy’s contact details? Of course, just let me know - he’s a good chap to have on your side. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.