A3 8PA 1.6L 05-12 RELIABILITY???

RF154

Hi, I'm looking into buying a 8PA 1.6L with a year of probably 05 to 12 and mileage around 60k to 120k, however before looking further I thought I would come here to get probably the best opinions I can get. Does anyone have any comments, recommendations or warnings about the car and its reliability before buying one? Any comments or information is appreciated! Thanks.

My Instagram @raith_f where I will reply faster and be able to have a better conversation.

Hello Raith,

Our 2006 1.6 Limited Edition (base) has been in the family from new and has now covered a mileage of over 160K, and I’m happy to share my experiences of this particular car.

Before that, perhaps I should point out that your mileage limits may restrict your choice if I understand it correctly - a 15 year old car up to 120k, or an 8 year old one up to 60K. 

I can only speak for the older end of your range, but they seem to be well built and can stand the test of time, but with all secondhand cars, issues can arise with individual examples. To me, service history, whilst being important, is never the be all and end al of the judge of the car’s condition, and certainly no judge of how the car has been cared for. Simple pointers for cars with caring owners may include same make tyres on the same axle and ideally all round, MOT history in terms of failures and advisories, invoices for work done, and brands of aftermarket parts - if non VAG parts are used. Personally, I would try to avoid buying at an unrealistic distance from home, since you can kiss good bye to warranties due to the practicalities of returning the car for repairs. Old fashioned? Probably yes! 

Having said all that, I can return to our 1.6, which bless it, has done all that has been asked of it, and has only required a replacement clutch (due to the usual slave cylinder issues which apply to most marques) at around 130k. The car has always had Audi parts at servicing, and was main dealer serviced until c60K, but by ourselves since that. We have treated it with respect, and it has with us! Schedule for belt and water pump changes every 5 years. 

Hope some of this helps. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve got a 2005 1.6 FSI petrol and the usual age related issues like battery but other than that and changing quite a few cosmetic things to the newer models I love it, still got plenty of power and fun to drive - easy to cruise down the motorway and very happy in city streets... definitely worth getting a panoramic sunroof too if you can

76EF0FED-4D05-4D14-A535-470628BA3681.jpeg