Few Issues

Charlie Davies

Hello,

I was just looking for a bit of help as I am not the greatest car guru. 

I have recently purchased an Audi a5 2009 2.0 TFSI 180 and my parents are starting to think it was a bad purchase at my young unexperienced age of 19 so I was hoping someone could lend a brain??

61500 Miles - Good tyres with good tread - Oil just changed

Purchased 1 week ago. Had been sitting prior to me picking it up for about a month. The previous owner had driven it constantly for 15 months before it was sat. It was sat as he used a different car. 

- When changing gears at low speeds car judders and makes a very loud metal clunking noise.
- When putting my foot down on the accelerator and taking it off it also makes a loud metal clunking noise. 
- When these both happen it feels like you're running something over.
- If you change gear very gently and at the exact correct revs it won't make the noise.
- Left front wheel(well I think its the left front wheel) makes small warping noise, not very loud but noticeable with music on.
- When I put my foot down on the accelerator quite hard the wheels get sort of stuck before then going again, feels like a bit of wheel spin but makes loud clunk noise, this happens if you put your foot down at any speed. 
- My oil seems to be going down quicker than expected but I haven't been able to monitor it that much as only had the car for 5 days.

If you drive the car gently there are a lot fewer issues and you would even be lead to believe there weren't any issues. 

Any help will mean the world to me!!

Thank you in advance. 

Hello Charlie, 

Thanks for being in touch, and welcome to the world of motoring. ‘Not the greatest car guru’ - aged 19! I wouldn’t think so.

Anyway - fact of life - the vast majority of motorists start their motoring life buy buying unwisely, so whatever happens from here, good or bad, then if nothing else, it will all be an addition to the memory bank. 

To be honest, I think any parent would form the opinion that someone of your age buying such a large engined car was not a good move - I think I would judder as much as the car does at an estimate of what your insurance premium must be, still, you have the car now, and it must be onward and upward, and sitting down and working out an action plan. 

Can I ask Charlie:- did you buy this car from a dealer, or privately, and irrespective, what was the detail of the advert? 

I’m really sorry to have to suggest this, but you need to get this car inspected by a trusted local garage as soon as possible, since you may have redress against the seller. From your description, my stab at it that you are likely to have  (always difficult to assess with inspecting the car)  issues with the clutch, and in particular, the dual mass flywheel component of this assembly, but let’s not labour any issues until you report back on your local garage’s findings. 

Perhaps you could let us have the additional detail asked for, and later, the garage’s report on the car, and no doubt we can advise further. I wouldn’t hang about in arranging that. 

Take care.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Charlie, 

Thanks for being in touch, and welcome to the world of motoring. ‘Not the greatest car guru’ - aged 19! I wouldn’t think so.

Anyway - fact of life - the vast majority of motorists start their motoring life buy buying unwisely, so whatever happens from here, good or bad, then if nothing else, it will all be an addition to the memory bank. 

To be honest, I think any parent would form the opinion that someone of your age buying such a large engined car was not a good move - I think I would judder as much as the car does at an estimate of what your insurance premium must be, still, you have the car now, and it must be onward and upward, and sitting down and working out an action plan. 

Can I ask Charlie:- did you buy this car from a dealer, or privately, and irrespective, what was the detail of the advert? 

I’m really sorry to have to suggest this, but you need to get this car inspected by a trusted local garage as soon as possible, since you may have redress against the seller. From your description, my stab at it that you are likely to have  (always difficult to assess with inspecting the car)  issues with the clutch, and in particular, the dual mass flywheel component of this assembly, but let’s not labour any issues until you report back on your local garage’s findings. 

Perhaps you could let us have the additional detail asked for, and later, the garage’s report on the car, and no doubt we can advise further. I wouldn’t hang about in arranging that. 

Take care.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Gareth, 

Thank you for your swift reply it means a lot. 

The insurance was not too bad on this one, I don't have any no claims bonus as I have always sold my car before the year is done due to varies reasons and I also have cancelled insurance so you would think it would be awful trying to get insurance but 1.3k on a 2.0L T at 19 isn't awful considering.

The car was bought privately, the description of the add is: "Low mileage eye catching Audi that's been well looked after and comes with service history. 2 keys 8 months mot. Good tyres all around. Few nicks in paint but mechanically sound." 

I will get it taken to the local garage to see what they can see. 

Thank you for the reply and help though, means a lot.

Hello Charlie,

Many thanks for the additional helpful information. 

The facts are that you have just bought the car, and it appears to have a significant fault ( albeit yet to be confirmed by your garage report). 

OK you bought it privately, and the general opinion is that there isn’t any redress, as there would be if you bought it from a trader. You will need to take professional advice on this - CAB would be fine - since although bought privately, the vehicle condition must satisfy the wording of the advert. So ‘...but mechanically sound’ equates to just that - and by your description of the faults, it isn’t. 

There may be a caveat here - for example, if you offered a price below the asking price and it was accepted on the understanding that ‘you accept it as it is’ for example, then that is likely to dilute your case. Also if your receipt ( did you have one?) states something like ‘...... received in condition as seen tried and approved’ ..and you signed to accept that, then again this can dilute your case. 

Private sellers often now describe vehicles as ‘goes, stops, steers’ or something similar - so obviously no comebacks. 

Sounds like you’ve got a bit to do quickly Charlie. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.