Footwell leak and battery drain Audi A6

Jackarmy

I’m having trouble with my 1.9 tdi 2002 Audi A6 estate, i purchased this car with a leak in the passenger footwell. All the forums pointed to the pollen filter housing or drainage holes so I unblocked the drainage holes, siliconed the windscreen rubber as it looked lose at the bottom and also sealed the pollen filter housing. Since then the leak got even worse and I can’t figure out where it’s coming in. The comfort module got soaked and the hazard warning lights came on constant along with the alarm going off whenever it pleases causing the battery to drain. I pulled the fuse for the hazards and replaced the battery which seemed to stop the drain for a few days before the alternator completely went. So I replaced the alternator recharged the new battery which was completely flat and the car was fine for a few days apart from the water still getting in. Now the leak is literally puddling in the wootfell with the rain and the battery drain has come back with a vengeance and now dies over night every time without fail. I’m losing my patients with the car and could really do with some pointing in the right direction before I set fire to it 🙂 thanks in advance.. please help 

OK, discount this as the source of the (increased) leak then.

If you think on about the source of the leak, logic suggests that whatever you have ‘sealed’ has made it worse, so you  will now need to unseal each bit in turn to find which area has an effect. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for replying. I have managed to stop the water leak coming in, the windscreen scuttle was cracked and it was causing water to run off into the pollen filter itself. I have dried everything out, replaced the filter and housing with a new seal, now it’s just getting to the bottom of the drain.. I got the ccm out and opened it and water come gushing out I have dried all the carpet and the module out and cleaned up the corroded plugs as there was one or 2 that didn’t look good, however the circuit bored looked in good nick. I have had the battery on charge all day ready to put on the car this evening to see if it is still draining over night.. I’m hoping the drain was caused by the water and corrosion, I plugged the hazard fuse back in when I dried it all and they are now functioning properly and not stuck on so I’m praying to god the battery holds charge over night as the drain only came when the water damage got bad. if not I’m completely out of ideas

• Like 1