How to make Audi fix your oil burning car - Apply pressure and Audi will do the right thing!

MartinSkeet

I own a 2012 Audi 1.8TFSI. I bought it second hand in October 2020 and immediately wrote to Audi UK asking if they could confirm which of their engines burnt oil. They said they could not confirm which engines and the only way to know was an oil test. I have studied law and I wrote a series of very carefully worded communications stating:

- that I knew the problem was with the piston rings which they redesigned and later changed
- that it seemed impossible to me that Audi had no record of when they changed the piston rings that stopped this problem
- that I was aware that Audi USA were the subject of a class action to do with this problem
- that they had not recalled these engines even though this was a known fault
- that Audis response to this was problem and fixing it was inconsistent and fundamentally unfair with people with full service histories being charged for engine rebuilds and some with partial Audi service histories not being being charged a penny
- that Audi using the service history record to decide on what cost a customer should pay towards fixing the problem was nonsensical as servicing history would have no effect on the function of faulty piston rings
- that I was a an Audi owner who had owned other Audis with problems (my Q5 was left underivable after emission cheat codes were removed)
- that this is well know fault and is in the public domain

My car had only a full Audi service history up until 2016 - after that it was serviced by non Audi garages. After the car failed its oil test I provided copies of the Audi log book and the services on a document that was dated and had a title of 'Oil burning dispute evidence' with my reg number.

My car is being fixed free of charge and I am driving a brand new S-Line Audi A3 2022 model while they do it.

I don't post this to boast - just to say that there is no point bothering with dealers who will squirm from doing anything for free. Tell Audi UK that there response has been unfair, show that you understand the exact problem and that they redesigned the rings as they were faulty. Write in semi-legalese language and be completely polite and unemotional at all times. I really think they will then smell potential trouble and do the right thing. My engine is being replaced this week.

Hello Martin,

Many thanks indeed for being in touch, and particularly for sharing your positive news on this subject. 

I don’t want to appear patronising, but I think it’s fair to say you (in caps) succeeded where others might have failed. 

I further believe that your last statement is of vital importance, and might mark the division between success and failure. 

Being able to communicate in a constructive fashion, with researched and carefully honed evidence, is the key. Without wishing to be derogatory, this becomes difficult for some - many? - but, as I said, marks the dividing line between success and failure, and unfortunately it’s this aspect of the situation is very often more important that the understood evidence. 

Would you advise taking advise/assistance in any (in caps) case presentation? 

Many thanks again Martin,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Gareth,

I totally understand your points and your suggestion that being able to do this is not in everyones skill set. My intention in posting this is to give helpful examples of how to construct an argument and what points to focus on.

To be clear - I am not trained lawyer - my study of the law has been through owning my own businesses and not being able to always afford a lawyer.  I hope others can see from my post that it's possible to make Audi do the right thing by approaching it in the right way. If anyone is unsure or lacking confidence in doing that then I think investing in a lawyer to draft a robust initial argument is the right way to go with this. 

Very best,

Martin

• Like 1

I had a very similar issue in 2014.

My A3, just 27 days out of its 3 year warranty and up to date with main dealer service history, decided that its EGR valve would fail. Main dealer said tough luck, it's £950 to fix take it or leave it.

Made contact with Audi head office, where I argued, successfully, that the part had failed prematurely and under consumer law, regardless of any warranty, they should take some responsibility for it. 

They agreed, and admitted the part should be good for 10 years.  they covered £750 of the bill leaving me to pay £200. They pointed out that I had been offered extended warranty and declined it, which was true and a fair comment.  

Happy with and successful outcome. 

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the thread revival but im curious as to what models of engine were effected? Or if somebody could link me to an article for further research too that would be great