Audi A3 8P Door lock with physical key malfunction

RobDun

Hi folks. Had this issue for a while, haven't managed to sort it yet. 

The driver's door (UK) has the manual barrel lock mechanism, but on my vehicle it doesn't work. When the car is locked, if I insert the key and turn it to the right to unlock, it does nothing. It turns, but nothing is unlocked. If I turn it to the left, there's a resistance and then it 'clicks', but again, this has no effect on either locking or unlocking the car.

The remote central locking all works as it should. I took a video to help demonstrate the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHzwlFzjfAg

I've had the door card a couple of times to have a look, but I can't dismantle the handle/barrel mechanism - there's something in the way that I can't remove, a black plastic cover over the part where the barrel is. I've removed the lower lock, the part that latches when the door closes, to get better access, but still I can't reach what I need to, and I don't want to start breaking things through frustration (I know myself). 

Hopefully this is a common issue and an easy fix. Any ideas? Cheers

Robert.

As the solenoid evidently works, the problem must be mechanical. There is a rod from the door handle connected by a plastic clip to the latch mechanism which I reckon is either broken or detached. That is what you need to get at. Unfortunately I don't personally know how to get access to it, and the manual is not very clear, though it does say to first remove the lock cylinder by loosening (not removing) the Torx screw underneath the door handle, then removing the glass. Sorry I can't help further than that. Do let us know how you get on.

11 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Robert.

As the solenoid evidently works, the problem must be mechanical. There is a rod from the door handle connected by a plastic clip to the latch mechanism which I reckon is either broken or detached. That is what you need to get at. Unfortunately I don't personally know how to get access to it, and the manual is not very clear, though it does say to first remove the lock cylinder by loosening (not removing) the Torx screw underneath the door handle, then removing the glass. Sorry I can't help further than that. Do let us know how you get on.

Hi Cliff, I did take some photos here of what I can see, do you mean the long metal rod? If so, that's fine, still attached as far as I can tell. 

Problem I have is the black plastic cover where the handle is, I can loosen it part way, but not completely. 

The torx you mention, does it say if it's inside the door or on the outside of the handle (accessible from the exterior)? 

15 hours ago, RobDun said:

Hi Cliff, I did take some photos here of what I can see, do you mean the long metal rod? If so, that's fine, still attached as far as I can tell. 

Problem I have is the black plastic cover where the handle is, I can loosen it part way, but not completely. 

The torx you mention, does it say if it's inside the door or on the outside of the handle (accessible from the exterior)? 

Rob.

That's where the Haynes manual is unclear. It says you loosen the screw through the door opening, but whether that means the window slot, the inner face, or under the exterior handle I really don't know. Even the manual photos don't help, being tiny, black & white, and printed on poor quality paper.

Going back to the metal rod, does the latch operate if you move it up and down? If so I reckon it is disconnected at the handle end.

Rob.

It seems I have misread your problem as being the handle not operating the latch, whereas I now realise it is the keyswitch not firing the solenoid. Sorry about that. Nevertheless I still think you need to get to the barrel to check the switch.

26 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Rob.

It seems I have misread your problem as being the handle not operating the latch, whereas I now realise it is the keyswitch not firing the solenoid. Sorry about that. Nevertheless I still think you need to get to the barrel to check the switch.

No problem Cliff, it's not easy to describe - at least I'm not great at describing it, heh. Yeah it's getting to the barrel part that I'm having a problem with. Working from the door interior (door card removed etc), there's not much room to manoeuvre, and there's a small black plastic cover thing over the handle section that I can partly remove, but not completely. This is where I'm currently blocked. 

• 11 months later...

hi i've just discovered this thread as i have the same problem with my s3 door lock (won't operate manually) royal pain in the !Removed! if my battery gos flat.. i have to jack car up connect battery charger to the starter terminal. did you manage to solve the problem with your door lock/access to the door lock by any chance ? thanks in advance. Danny 

• 4 months later...

If you haven't fix it yet, I just did this morning, the issue is the actuator, (this actuator has 3 mechanical movements, and one electronic plug)
the electronic is just for remote and buttons to activate it
the mechanics are : 
- one is the wire that goes to the indoor handle is long as they need to go all the way to the indoor handle
- the other  a metal rod (shaped to fit obviously), thats the one moved by the outdoor handle
- the third one is the one using the barrel, is connected to the actuator by a small compact spring ending on a flat metal piece, (this one fit on one of the corners of the actuator) thats the one i got misplaced and by that reason my key was not doing its job

hope it helps

by the way to remove the black plastic cover, you need to remove the rod that connect the outdoor handle so you have easier access to it to remove it

advice!!, l remove the window frame because it helped me to work on it easier, I saw this video btw

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:28 PM, Danny selleck said:

hi i've just discovered this thread as i have the same problem with my s3 door lock (won't operate manually) royal pain in the !Removed! if my battery gos flat.. i have to jack car up connect battery charger to the starter terminal. did you manage to solve the problem with your door lock/access to the door lock by any chance ? thanks in advance. Danny 

Hey Danny sadly, its to break the window, locksmiths couldn't do anything, I had to do that, and the solution to make it work its above,