Water damaged headlight ballast module on 2012 a6

Ibrahim Aliyu

Need help on High beam not working. Replaced 3 modules on my headlight that was damaged by water and discovered that only the low beam is working. The High beam and cornering lights are not working & diagnose to be fault code 03641 & 03645 as right & left headlamp power output stage- no signal/communication. Any help?

15 hours ago, Ibrahim Aliyu said:

Need help on High beam not working. Replaced 3 modules on my headlight that was damaged by water and discovered that only the low beam is working. The High beam and cornering lights are not working & diagnose to be fault code 03641 & 03645 as right & left headlamp power output stage- no signal/communication. Any help?

Hi, I don't think that the ballast modules have any effect on the high beam as high beam is commanded by the shutter systems within the headlight unit, therefore think it could well be the headlight range control module which if replaced has to be re coded to the car.

12 hours ago, Ibrahim Aliyu said:

Thanks Stevey y. I'll try that and get the module then. However, the issue of recoding will be a challenge here as no audi dealer/garage close to me. Thank you once again 

Hi get yourself a copy of VCDS and the Ross Tech cable that goes with it, the start up cost can be high, software, cable, suitable laptop loaded with windows XP but if you intend to keep the car it gives you an explanation of the code and the O.E. number of the offending part plus the ability to code in the new part, you don't need an Audi dealer.

Thank you for your response. I've gotten a used headlight range control module from eBay with same part number as mine. I will just transfer from my old part the long coding & others to this new used one I got then try it & see. Thank you once again 

• 1 year later...

Changed both Xenons, all worked fine, next day the passenger headlight lens was "Wet" inside, not condensation.

Started car, switch lights onto Auto, nothing at all on passenger side.

Turned car off, lights off. Checked all fuses left and right of dashboard, all ok, checked fuses in boot, found a 30A fuse blown

Fully dried headlight out, replaced fuse, blew again. All lamps in headlight not working.

Drivers side headlight all lights working, but the headlight Range Control, the auto test up and down movement normally happening each time the car is started, remains stationary at the top level. Hoping further drying out will sort this out?

Wheel off, wheel arch under cover removed, ballast unit  for the Xenon bulb removed, it was full of water, seeing the amount of crud and corrosion around the two terminal blocks this had been building up for some time.

Dried out the two wiring harness ballast connectors from the headlight and cleaned with contact cleaner, waited while fully dry

Replaced 30A fuse, Lights in off position, Started car, DRL's working, then tested the other lights in the headlight, indicator working, sidelights working and fog light working,  (Had not reinstalled the Xenon bulb and its ballast at this time).

Bought a genuine OEM replacement Mitsubishi Ballast from Xenons4u, £55.98 including delivery which I will be fitting later this week, after I check where the water might be getting in/breather vents clear, etc., 

Don't know yet about the Headlight Range control,  I'll let you know how things turn out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm in exactly the same position. This surely is a manufacturing / design issue.
I've got a garage telling me to replace the headlight with a brand new one and replace all the modules its going to be about £1600 to £1700

For a design, that If I'm right will only fail again in the near future.

After weeks I've finally managed to get every single drop of moisture out of the headlight unit itself and now I keep bags of rechargable silica gels in there to absorb any left over moisture but still no main beam and an occasionally faulty DRL / Side light.

After the first two months of ownership totally wiping out my savings I'm not keen to blast another £1700 on the car so soon.

What modules need replacing in total?

2014 (Pre Facelift) A6 C7 3.0TDI Quattro 245ps

Thanks, I've just bought from HIDs-Direct:
Xenon Ballast - 8K0 941 597 E

https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/8k0941597-xenon-ballast-for-mitsubishi-w003t18471-audi-a3-a4-a5/

And

DRL Daytime Running Lights Headlight Ballast Control Module - 4G0907697D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176277131852

Fingers Crossed this solves my problem as I've had an absolute gutsfull!