Fitting instructions for dog guard (4K9017221)

ukandrewtaylor

Hi,

Just picked up a new black edition Avant. The dealer fitted 4K9017221 which is the dog guard. I’ve removed it to fit a “hatchbag” liner. I need to re-fit which sounds simple (it’s literally 4 hand turned screws) but I’m struggling without the correct technique.

Does anyone have a copy of the fitting instructions they could photo and upload?

I understand where everything goes, but, the tolerances are quite small and knowing which order to fit and tighten would really help.

thanks

Andrew  

My local dealer has provided me a print-out and it's helped immensely.

Just in case anyone comes across this thread whilst searching for details about the guard I'll leave my notes here in case it helps.

I'd ordered 4K9017221 (dog guard) along with 4K0061180 which is the flexible load liner. I'd also ordered a 'hatchbag' liner.

The "hatchbag" liner fits really well, there's two filled 'anchors' which slide between the boot and the rear seats when the seats are down, when you pull the seats back the anchor jams under the floor and the liner is pretty taught and secure.

The dog guard then fits on top of the liner, and I made two small holes to provide access to the boot rails which is where the guard secures to the floor. I'd prefer that the hatchbag had provided access to these without making the hole, but, I'd managed to use some tape to square the holes off and prevent further splitting. It's pretty good. The brackets are quite big and cover the holes if you cut them small enough. The hatchbag then attaches to the dog guard rather than the headrests. The headrests are exposed and on reflection I should have got the additional hatchbag cover for them. At least they're leather so they'll wipe down.

The load liner is totally incompatible with the dog guard which is really short-sighted. With the dog guard in place you can’t push the liner back far enough. You can’t put the liner underneath the dog guard because you can’t get the guard far enough back in the boot. I'd expect anyone with the dog guard would also like the load liner. I cut the entire back lip from the liner really easily with a pair of scissors. I then had to shape the back corners to allow the liner to slide under the dog guard with it in the correct position. This is actually quite nice as it's quite secure. It does make it slightly short, I could have cut less.

To finish it off I poked holes through the load liner where the thumbscrews for the dog guard to feed through. This is a better fit than having the liner sit on top of the screws.

I've got 4K9017222 which is the longtitudal divider on-order. I'll update if there's problems fitting it in my current configuration.

To be honest, after all of that, I should have just orderded the dog a crash helmet and sat him on the rear seat. With the 3.0L V6 the boot is not a very comfortable place for him to be 😆