Is there a water pump in a3 etron?

Erika

Hey guys, 

Quick question, our cam belt was changed last year at Audi. They normally change the cam belt and water pump at the same time, but they told us we don't have to change the water pump as there isn't one. Is that right? And if so, what is in there instead of the water pump to get the coolant around? 

Hello Erika, 

Thanks for being in touch with the forum.

As I understand it - and I could well be wrong, so this will need confirmation from someone who has been-there-done-that, - but the timing belt system varies depending on the actual engine output, so we would need to know what that output is (see V5).

I think the lower output one has a chain which is driven by the crankshaft, and this (shortish) chain drives the oil pump. The oil pump then drives the camshafts via. a conventional tensioned belt, so I guess that is what you had changed. The difference between this set up and the ‘normal’ cambelt driven set up is that the water pump is not driven by this belt. 
I believe the water pump is on the opposite end of the engine and has a direct drive off one of the camshafts, so is not directly driven via. a belt. 
To correct what you were told:- The car does have a water pump (it has to), but it is not driven in the same circuit as a normal cambelt engine, so would not need changing by that normal convention. 
The caveat at the start applies, but I think I’m right - please satisfy yourself that I am/aren’t! 
Kind regards,

Gareth.