Struggling with Carplay / MMI / Wifi / on MY20 A6

I've got a new A6 Avant Black Edition with the technology pack. I think I've learned that this stuff just isn't well thought through from a usability point of view, but, if I've misunderstood and misconfigured it I'd really appreciate a few points.

My understanding - please feel free to correct / challenge / add

1. Car has e-sim provided by Cubic telecom. This can be used for free for Audi Connect (SOS, remote unlock etc).
  2. e-sim can be optionally used to provide wifi hotspot in the car for devices (tablets etc), this requires a plan with cubic for data OR inserting a sim in the arm rest
  3. Carplay requires Wifi and bluetooth to be enabled
  4. IOS when using carplay will use wi-fi hotspot not it's own 4g signal
  5. You can have amazon music directly on the headunit via my audi but this requires data add on to cubic

I can disable wifi hotspot data (but leave wifi) which will result in carplay working but not being able to stream my music from apple music (because the phone is on wifi and thinks it has data available). I can disable wifi altogether which makes the phone work but obviously no carplay. I cant' seem to have amazon music stream through my phone data in any scenario.

I think if I put my own data sim in the car it'll start working as I wanted, but, I don't really need yet another phone contract.

Thanks
Andrew

Edited by ukandrewtaylor
grammar