Ignition Switch

Wateece

So I suffered a typical ignition fault in that my car wouldn't switch off on removal of the key.  Lots of reading pointed to new switch being needed. So found one same year on eBay with all the same code bar one difference mine is 0.8 the new one is 0.7.   New switch works and I can turn on and off car but I get a dash warning stating defective ignition switch take to a workshop. Can this be cleared with Vagcom? Or is it simply and older model switch not quite compatible?  Or more likely a detective switch. I'm obviously keen to save cash. It's an old car done 150k and I just want to keep it going if I can. I've seen people quoting £500 for what I've done that cost me 28 quid and 20 minutes. Any help appreciated.

IMG_20210415_171006.jpg

IMG_20210415_170718.jpg

IMG_20210415_170711.jpg

Hi chances are it's the same part but with a different coding, try and see if it will give you the long coding for the new part and then go into the part coding sub section and see if you can recode the new one in to the BCM.

Regards,Steve.

Thanks Steve. I'm really no expert so will have a go when I get a lead. On all the installs, it said these units were simply plug and play. They make the connection between the key and ECU and act as a physical switch, so no coding required?

Hi could be if you buy an aftermarket switch these are normally fitted with whats known as a shunt which would make them plug in and play as they are fitted with a device that conforms to the ECU/BCM expectation strategy, its the same as recon alternators, anything to do with ignition is likely to upset the anti theft system.

Steve.

1 minute ago, Wateece said:

Thank you. I can swap bits and do mechanics but this tech stuff is a whole new world of learning.

Hi it is not that frightening once you get your head round what it is and how it works and if you have Vagcom you are better equipped than most, please let us know how you get on as most people post to try and get advice and then disappear into cyber space, its a bit like watching Pulp Fiction for the first time and there is a power cut half way through.

Steve.

So I have a Carista OBD scanner for quick jobs on the phone.   Found that and it brought up a number of ignition faults and others. Managed to clear all and light is now off and stayed off. Happy days. No coding required.  Thanks for the help here.