HPFP failure

Audi mobile A4

Audi A4 SE TDI 6SP (year registered 2009) has done 107000 miles - single owner me.

Regularly serviced. Remember from memory changing particulate filter at the last service in Aug 2020.

(Car did go to the dealer at some point few years back in the past to update the software after the Audie debacle & emissions)

A week prior to failure I thought I could hear very faint unusual sound driving then said to my self I am imagining (doubt/thought my self if my exhaust about to fail).

No sign of a failure in advance, one morning on first start very unusual noise top near the fan belt under the bonnet. When I start to pull away into 2 gear & 100 meters car died.

It would crank but not start. Took it to my mechanic on a loader. He'd found metal shavings in HPFP.

Now I am adviced to change the whole fuel system or 4 X injectors, fuel rail, pumps near fuel tank along with HPFP..

Parts plus Labour is greater than I presume the value of my Audi of 2009.

Is it common problem for a diesel engine that has done 107000 miles? (I use to hear that diesel engine will last longer than petrol ) 

Could I trust my car for another year after this expensive repair on motorways? (The way car cut out made me worry)

Hi I have worked on various different diesels and they all have bits of brass in the system due to the fact the high pressure pump loses bits of itself but even the high milage ones still run fine, the injectors have small filters fitted to the top where the feed pipe joins the injector to prevent the large debris going in to the actual injector, I would be trying the lift pump in the tank as from the strange noise you describe I would take that as the lift pump was failing which would cause the high pressure pump to be noisy just before the engine shut down.

by the sound of it your boy has decided to change just about everything but the fuel rail is a bit excessive as you can take them off flush them through and then hit them with an airline, as for the injectors how would you know if they were shot unless the engine is running with the diagnostic plugged in showing anomalies with the live data.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

First I wish to Thank You for your informed advice.

I was perhaps not totally clear with my post. Sorry.

When I took my car on a loader, and my mechanic looked into it few days later, I presume after plugging in diagnostics.

He offered me both means. One to change the whole system and he explained it will cost with Labour over the value of the car.

Two..Just remove the diesel, clean the passage and change the HPFP. This I opted.

Then few days later (he needed time to order the part and repair) called me to inform that now 2 injecters are showing fault(I don't know how he identified) and need replacement.

At this point as I have already need to pay for what ever repaired and the car still will not move/run,  suggested if it would be more appropriate to change the whole lot as was in his first suggestion at the onset.

I was too worried if I not change the other filters and pump theses fragments will block any of the (new as well as old) injectors and make my car non viable.

(Now after reading your reply, It is clear to me that there are filters above each injector and my suggestion to change the whole lot is over kill!!) 

It is too late for me to alter the repair but would be obliged for your opinion on my reliability to run for at least next few months? (I was so taken back the way car engine died on me as I was just driving away)

Hi, sorry for the late reply I have been busy with work, as for it dying on you this can happen to any car so I wouldn't take it personally I had it a couple of times with my Fords one of which cut out at 80mph on the M25 with passengers on board I could almost hear the rosary beads being counted as managed to shimmy the car across three lanes of traffic and get to the hard shoulder, it turns out the water pump was soaking the crank position sensor with red hot coolant, I was a bit P.O. as the pump had only done 15k. 

Anyway got it fixed and we did the next 80k with no problems, unfortunately its a fact of life that most vehicles over 100k will have some sort of problem and I am sure if fixed it will still be a usable vehicle for years to come, BTW I can't work out how he managed to get a fault code for the injectors unless they were already there before it stopped working. Clean the system replace the two injectors and the pumps and as long as the mechanic is thorough it should be fine.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Audi mobile A4 said:

I have got it repaired.

The cost for repairs was eye watering and much more than the vale of the car.

As I started the repair, I could not cut my losses and leave without repair.

Hi sorry to learn of the violation of your wallet but on the plus side at least you now have a usable car which will last you a while also the added benefit that if the fuel system fails again any time soon you have a large bill to beat them with along with the thinly veiled threat of trading standards, I hope you have no further troubles and your confidence in the car returns.

Steve.

• Thanks 1