2020 SQ7 Exhaust

AaronHSQ7

Hi everyone I'm new here!

I've got two SQ7s, a late 2017 and a 2020 vorsprung. 

I've had both mapped by DMS Automotive and they're chugging out a rather nippy 529ps and 1049nm which has transformed the cars. Absolutely fantastic.

However. The 2017 sounds a billion times better than the 2020. I'm technically minded but I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows of the specific reason behind this, I'm aware emission restrictions have forced a change in components but I'd like to do some mods to my 2020.

Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron

20201119_095442.jpg

20201119_095529.jpg

It's odd that they sound different. What's the mileage difference between the two? It could be that the 2017 has loosened up more which has changed the engine note. 

The other option is to get them both on a ramp to see if the exhausts are the same. 

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

It's odd that they sound different. What's the mileage difference between the two? It could be that the 2017 has loosened up more which has changed the engine note. 

The other option is to get them both on a ramp to see if the exhausts are the same. 

They're different shape cars so the exhausts are different. The red one is brand new (well it was 8000 miles ago but no exhaust note difference since delivery). It's very very different in so much as the black one sounds like a proper V8. Even though its a diesel. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2021 at 7:42 PM, AaronHSQ7 said:

They're different shape cars so the exhausts are different. The red one is brand new (well it was 8000 miles ago but no exhaust note difference since delivery). It's very very different in so much as the black one sounds like a proper V8. Even though its a diesel. 

Just a quick bump on this as I have also been looking at sound improvement. Recently got my hands on a 2022 SQ7 TFSI and most certainly agree the sound is seriously muted on the new ones. I have been looking at several options so far. The active valve controller by Cete has been fitted by them on a SQ8 with no major sound improvement. It appears both cars share the same exhaust system. It seems the gap between valves open and close are almost identical so not worth the £'s for this. It is my preferred option instead of sound systems being pumped through speakers. I was hoping to get nicer rumble on low revs but it looks difficult to achieve without a major mod. The other option would be the active sound systems from Kufatec or Cete but as said, I am very much against fake sound. 

Unless I am terribly mistaken, the 2017 SQ7 is pre opf/gpf times and so you getting pure sound out of it as opposed to the having the dreaded filters killing the experience of owning a machine like ours...

I had someone do a backbox and resonator mod on my previous RSQ3 which improved the sound so I have booked my SQ7 so he can work his magic again on this one. If this does not work, I will have no other option but to consider a custom exhaust/catback exhaust system.  

Have you or anybody else got anywhere with squeezing more sound out of the SQ7?

Cheers! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:30 AM, DGSQ7 said:

Just a quick bump on this as I have also been looking at sound improvement. Recently got my hands on a 2022 SQ7 TFSI and most certainly agree the sound is seriously muted on the new ones. I have been looking at several options so far. The active valve controller by Cete has been fitted by them on a SQ8 with no major sound improvement. It appears both cars share the same exhaust system. It seems the gap between valves open and close are almost identical so not worth the £'s for this. It is my preferred option instead of sound systems being pumped through speakers. I was hoping to get nicer rumble on low revs but it looks difficult to achieve without a major mod. The other option would be the active sound systems from Kufatec or Cete but as said, I am very much against fake sound. 

Unless I am terribly mistaken, the 2017 SQ7 is pre opf/gpf times and so you getting pure sound out of it as opposed to the having the dreaded filters killing the experience of owning a machine like ours...

I had someone do a backbox and resonator mod on my previous RSQ3 which improved the sound so I have booked my SQ7 so he can work his magic again on this one. If this does not work, I will have no other option but to consider a custom exhaust/catback exhaust system.  

Have you or anybody else got anywhere with squeezing more sound out of the SQ7?

Cheers! 

I'd recommend powerflow exhausts as my brother and friends have used them. You can tune the exhaust note to what you want. And I think it's a lifetime warranty.