Front shocks & springs

Marko1968

I am looking to change both of my front springs on my 1.8T 2000, what’s the best make to change to? Seems to be an absolute mine field, some advice on make and best place to purchase would be much appreciated Mark.

Hi you will need top mounts and the rubber silencer rings x4 the best aftermarket springs are Kilen and from previous experience I would recommend Bilstein B4 shock absorbers they are not the cheapest but give an excellent service life compared with other branded twin tube shocks.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:52 PM, Marko1968 said:

I am looking to change both of my front springs on my 1.8T 2000, what’s the best make to change to? Seems to be an absolute mine field, some advice on make and best place to purchase would be much appreciated Mark.

On 8/2/2021 at 7:35 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi you will need top mounts and the rubber silencer rings x4 the best aftermarket springs are Kilen and from previous experience I would recommend Bilstein B4 shock absorbers they are not the cheapest but give an excellent service life compared with other branded twin tube shocks.

Steve.

Steve have been told that the B4 Bilstein are really stiff ? Is this correct pal?

On 8/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, Marko1968 said:

Steve have been told that the B4 Bilstein are really stiff ? Is this correct pal?

Hi sorry for the late reply, the answer to that one is NO, they were designed as a direct replacement for OE shocks and in some cases were supplied as OE, what appears to make them stiffer is that they are a monotube design which is more progressive in its damping dynamics, I.E. the unit compresses and returns in a more controlled manner without relying on the spring solely for support under harsh braking/cornering.

The majority of other aftermarket shocks will openly describe their products as twin tube, the problem with that design is that both monotube and twin tube use oil in their construction the monotube design is about sixty percent less likely to suffer with oil foaming which degrades the units handling capabilities when under constant stress when driven hard, the twin tube design suffers more with foaming and oil degradation as the unit wears over milage.

Over 800,000 miles I have had the opportunity to try most aftermarket brands and although most have performed more or less adequately I have found Bilstein to be the most robust right up to the end of life, if you really want stiff try the B6 version I fitted these to my Mondeo Sport, yes the handling was pin sharp but that was at the cost of the ride quality even with standard springs.

The name of the game is to use standard springs with a more progressive shock absorber this maintains more tyre contact with the road without the skipping effect caused by over stiff springs and shocks which will manifest itself in accelerated tyre wear and handling problems, oversteer/understeer.

Steve.

18 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi sorry for the late reply, the answer to that one is NO, they were designed as a direct replacement for OE shocks and in some cases were supplied as OE, what appears to make them stiffer is that they are a monotube design which is more progressive in its damping dynamics, I.E. the unit compresses and returns in a more controlled manner without relying on the spring solely for support under harsh braking/cornering.

The majority of other aftermarket shocks will openly describe their products as twin tube, the problem with that design is that both monotube and twin tube use oil in their construction the monotube design is about sixty percent less likely to suffer with oil foaming which degrades the units handling capabilities when under constant stress when driven hard, the twin tube design suffers more with foaming and oil degradation as the unit wears over milage.

Over 800,000 miles I have had the opportunity to try most aftermarket brands and although most have performed more or less adequately I have found Bilstein to be the most robust right up to the end of life, if you really want stiff try the B6 version I fitted these to my Mondeo Sport, yes the handling was pin sharp but that was at the cost of the ride quality even with standard springs.

The name of the game is to use standard springs with a more progressive shock absorber this maintains more tyre contact with the road without the skipping effect caused by over stiff springs and shocks which will manifest itself in accelerated tyre wear and handling problems, oversteer/understeer.

Steve.

Thanks pal really appreciated 💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼