Sunroof creaking noise!

Barrie P Driscoll

I have a four year old SQ5 with a panoramic sunroof. It creaks like crazy, and despite it being under warranty from Audi they have told me that it’s not covered by warranty. I paid them £220 for a “sunroof service” which involved cleaning and special lubrication. Noise back back after two days! I’ve tried using foam tape etc. still creaks! Any suggestions as to likely areas to aim for? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately this is not a unique problem. The service dept manager told me that the sunroof maintenance and lubrication service may not cure it. If it didn’t then they would need to take the roof out and strip down the mechanism. Approx cost of £1k inc VAT. The sunroof is specifically not covered within the Audi used car sales package. So…. I will need to find a local experienced mechanic who charges rates that are more reasonable than my local main dealer

On 12/8/2021 at 5:26 AM, Barrie P Driscoll said:

Unfortunately this is not a unique problem. The service dept manager told me that the sunroof maintenance and lubrication service may not cure it. If it didn’t then they would need to take the roof out and strip down the mechanism. Approx cost of £1k inc VAT. The sunroof is specifically not covered within the Audi used car sales package. So…. I will need to find a local experienced mechanic who charges rates that are more reasonable than my local main dealer

Please keep us posted on how you get on. It's very naughty it's not covered under warranty. If you bought the car recently on finance you might be able to contact the finance company to try and go down the "not fit for purpose" route. 

• 2 months later...

hi barrie just wondering if you sorted the sunroof problems, i also have the same issues with my 2015 q5 which i have had for 6 months, the garage have had it back 3 times and failed to cure the creaking, any feedback would be appreciated thanks steve by the way i,m in devizes too

Hi Steve, it’s a small world! I’ve decided to use thick automotive grade 20mm width foam tape around the insides of the roof area where the glass meets the sides plus the rear of the roof area where it meets up with the rear glass roof section. It seems to have worked and the creaking noise has reduced by about 90%. Seems a design and/or installation build issue I used to have a BMW X5 with a panoramic roof. Never had a minute’s problem with that. In fairness though, the SQ5 is faster and handles better. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2022 at 8:14 PM, Barrie Driscoll said:

Hi Steve, it’s a small world! I’ve decided to use thick automotive grade 20mm width foam tape around the insides of the roof area where the glass meets the sides plus the rear of the roof area where it meets up with the rear glass roof section. It seems to have worked and the creaking noise has reduced by about 90%. Seems a design and/or installation build issue I used to have a BMW X5 with a panoramic roof. Never had a minute’s problem with that. In fairness though, the SQ5 is faster and handles better. 

Would you mind taking a pic of what you’ve done? Want to do the same on my Q5. Thanks