Run USB power to driver's sunvisor for hands free phone

JohnHa

I did a search but couldn't find any suggestion.

I would like to fit a bluetooth hands free kit for my phone such as a Jabra Freeway in-car speakerphone.  Has anyone any good ideas for picking up 12V, converting it to a 5V USB supply and running the cable to the driver's sun visor, all unobtrusively?

Or are there better solutions?  I found Bluetooth Alternative? but it seems to involve quite a bit of work!

Many thanks.

If yours has an illuminated visor mirror there must a power supply to it. Perhaps that could be used if it has enough electrical capacity.

Does the speaker phone have to be sited at the visor? Wouldn't it work just as well on the dash board?

Thanks.

The dashbard is an alternative in which case I guess taking power from the cigarette lighter might be best.  However, I find that when I plug a USB adapter into the cigarette lighter I keep knocking it with my hand when changing gear or reaching for the handbreak 😞.  I could run 12V from the lighter and put the 12V to 5V converter near the hands free device.

I thought of getting the 12V from the internal light and running the USB cable along the top of the windscreen.  Another route might be to pick up the 12V from the light switch to the drivers door and run the cable up the doorway pillar. 

Mine doesn't have the "light switched on when the vanity mirror cover is opened" or it would be simple.

I'll have anther poke around ...

The cigarette lighter socket is useless for powering accesories for exactly the reason you stated. When I wired in a satnav mounted on the dashboard I picked up a supply from the fuseboard inside the dashboard. Prise off the right end cover of the dashboard with a broad flat screwdriver to reveal the fuseboard. The cover will clip on again if the wire is thin enough.

Edited by cliffcoggin
Detail missed