Approved Used Disaster

Hi, I purchased an Audi A6 bi-turbo 3 weeks ago from a main dealer - approved used with usual warranty, cooling off period, exchange if not happy etc. 

Had a couple of niggles with car - air box not fitted properly - they sorted it out. Then last week I took the car to another dealer who did a free winter health check. They found a major oil leak and damaged undertray. I was expecting it to be perfect given the usual 149 point check for used vehicles. Called selling dealer, showed them the Audi cam and they said bring it over and we will sort it out. (14 days after purchase)
A week later I’ve been in their loan car and they’re saying the leak isn’t economical for them to fix and want to find an alternative car for me.

if the car is warrantied surely it’s their problem and they just have to fix it regardless of cost.  I don’t want another car. The tires have already been changed for winters, new battery installed, puddle lights, MMI update etc. It’s legally my car, I paid cash, what do I do given that the Audi dealer doesn’t want to fix it?  There are no equivalent Bi-turbo A6s out there.  They found one a year older with nearly 10k more miles, black edition with idiot large rims and slammed suspension. Don’t want it, not equivalent, not a car I’d ever buy.

I just want my car fixed under warranty.  I presume I could ask for my money back but I’ve already spent over 1k extra on the car and I want this exact model.  It was at a good price.  My suspicion is they under sold it, want to put me in something they can’t sell, fix mine and sell it on for more. I may be wrong but it’s a rising market with tight supply.

Sorry this is so long. This is a main Audi dealer.  They admit they sold a car that wasn’t prepped properly, said they’d never have sold it if they knew it had the damaged undertray and leak.  Excuse was another part of their dealer group did the prep not them. They “only” did the selling bit. 

What are my legal options? Don’t want a reimbursement because used prices are going up and this is a relatively rare car as far as Audi approved used goes.  I don’t want a différent model/engine/spec/age or mileage. 

Should I get lawyers involved? Am speaking to one of their regional sales guys tomorrow about search for alternative car.  Could they be stringing me along to go over the 30 days when I’ll have less options?  Tomorrow is 3 weeks to the day since I bought it.  

Anyone have any advice, would be fantastic as I have never been in this situation.  Thanks  

38 minutes ago, James B Brown said:

Hi, I purchased an Audi A6 bi-turbo 3 weeks ago from a main dealer - approved used with usual warranty, cooling off period, exchange if not happy etc. 

Had a couple of niggles with car - air box not fitted properly - they sorted it out. Then last week I took the car to another dealer who did a free winter health check. They found a major oil leak and damaged undertray. I was expecting it to be perfect given the usual 149 point check for used vehicles. Called selling dealer, showed them the Audi cam and they said bring it over and we will sort it out. (14 days after purchase)
A week later I’ve been in their loan car and they’re saying the leak isn’t economical for them to fix and want to find an alternative car for me.

if the car is warrantied surely it’s their problem and they just have to fix it regardless of cost.  I don’t want another car. The tires have already been changed for winters, new battery installed, puddle lights, MMI update etc. It’s legally my car, I paid cash, what do I do given that the Audi dealer doesn’t want to fix it?  There are no equivalent Bi-turbo A6s out there.  They found one a year older with nearly 10k more miles, black edition with idiot large rims and slammed suspension. Don’t want it, not equivalent, not a car I’d ever buy.

I just want my car fixed under warranty.  I presume I could ask for my money back but I’ve already spent over 1k extra on the car and I want this exact model.  It was at a good price.  My suspicion is they under sold it, want to put me in something they can’t sell, fix mine and sell it on for more. I may be wrong but it’s a rising market with tight supply.

Sorry this is so long. This is a main Audi dealer.  They admit they sold a car that wasn’t prepped properly, said they’d never have sold it if they knew it had the damaged undertray and leak.  Excuse was another part of their dealer group did the prep not them. They “only” did the selling bit. 

What are my legal options? Don’t want a reimbursement because used prices are going up and this is a relatively rare car as far as Audi approved used goes.  I don’t want a différent model/engine/spec/age or mileage. 

Should I get lawyers involved? Am speaking to one of their regional sales guys tomorrow about search for alternative car.  Could they be stringing me along to go over the 30 days when I’ll have less options?  Tomorrow is 3 weeks to the day since I bought it.  

Anyone have any advice, would be fantastic as I have never been in this situation.  Thanks  

Hi, you most certainly have a case and yes if you can run to it get a solicitor involved even if its only advice, it is indeed their problem as the car was not fit for purpose, as for Audi approved I wouldn't give an old snotty tissue for their idea of checks the AA are about the most honest and precise checkers of car faults as they have no allegiance to any dealer and by the sound of it a trained Ape would have spotted that fault, I have personally witnessed the obscene lack of attention to detail with their service plans, go in hard and fast while you still have the whip hand time wise and don't let them string you along, the uneconomical repair bullocks won't hold water as wether or not under sold won't come into it as they were happy with that price, they sold you a car that is defective and not as advertised so taking in your after purchase fiscal outlay you obviously intended to keep the car and want it put back to as advertised condition, they are not known as Audi main Stealers for nothing.

Steve.

• Like 1