audi a3 8v 1.4 tfsi oil consumption

james797

Hello James,

Thanks for being in ouch with the forum.

Others more knowledgeable about specific engines and build years will hopefully fill in a bit more detail, but suffice it to say it is not an uncommon issue within those parameters. 
When you say you have noticed it uses a lot of oil,  has it now just started using a lot of oil during your long term ownership, or have you recently bought it?
 If the latter, did you buy it privately or through a dealer, when did you buy it, and what quantity of oil does it use in what miles?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I brought the car 2 weeks ago from a dealership. I done the rounds when I got it and checked everything and I noticed the oil was low so I topped it up. I have done about 600 miles in 2 weeks and it has dropped 3/4 way down the dipstick. I topped it back up today and it took just over half a litre 

Thanks James,

So the car has used half a litre in 600 miles -? 

If this were mine, I would be informing the seller that the car appears to be using an excessive amount of oil, and that you are currently monitoring its consumption over the next 500 miles. I would be doing this by e-mail, and stating that you will get back to them with the consumption figure within 2 weeks. 
If it’s monitored consumption is confirmed at around 600 miles per half litre ( i.e. 1,200 miles per litre) then I would say we have seem far worse, and you may find that it isn’t significant enough to be able to reject the car. However, I wouldn’t prejudge the situation until you have carried out your check. 
I would now be looking in the owners handbook, and you should find figures for anticipated oil consumption which you can compare with your results. 
A couple of additional questions:- what grade and brand of oil are you using to top up? What mileage has the car covered, and do you have a comprehensive service history for it?

Perhaps you could come back with the answers, and let us know how you get on with your consumption test. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.