Audi 80 B3 FWD to quattro conversion

Adamson89

Hi guys. New to the forum.

I'm looking for advice on a quattro conversion.

Wondered if anyone has either done it before or knows what is required. 

I have a 1990 B3 80 sport with the 2.0 8v engine. Wondered if the platform lends itself to fitting all the running gear, suspension, sub frames (etc) from an S2 or similar, without major fabrication? I have seen someone do it with a B4 80 but not sure if the chassis platforms are the same or not. If it didn't require a huge amount of cutting/welding then Id try to source the necessary parts, but if it is going to be a major then I'd probably just fix her up as standard and use it as a daily.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

audi 80 .jpg

59 minutes ago, Adamson89 said:

Hi guys. New to the forum.

I'm looking for advice on a quattro conversion.

Wondered if anyone has either done it before or knows what is required. 

I have a 1990 B3 80 sport with the 2.0 8v engine. Wondered if the platform lends itself to fitting all the running gear, suspension, sub frames (etc) from an S2 or similar, without major fabrication? I have seen someone do it with a B4 80 but not sure if the chassis platforms are the same or not. If it didn't require a huge amount of cutting/welding then Id try to source the necessary parts, but if it is going to be a major then I'd probably just fix her up as standard and use it as a daily.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

audi 80 .jpg

Hi it probably would work as when they develop the platform for a vehicle its the most expensive process on earth and the manufacturer runs the platform for a good few years to get the development costs back , the platforms are built with bolt holes and fixings to accommodate just about every variation they are likely to produce its like the gearbox on my A6 that has a bung over the end of the driveshaft for the version that would have been a quattro the bolt holes are present for transfer box but devoid of thread.

Downside is you are probably going to deal with old second hand parts which may well need reconditioning, in essence you could well be getting into a bottomless money pit, my perspective is keep what you have got and enhance that as that will keep you busy just finding the parts, not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but some projects are best left alone or you could end up on Car SOS, my mate has just done the same with an Afasud full monty restoration £11000 and its been on car and classic forever and no one is interested at £25000.

Steve.

• 1 year later...

The B3 typ89 FWD floorpan is different to the B4 8C, the front part is nearly the same but the differences in the rear are considerable. You would need to cut out large sections of the floorpan to replace them with Quattro bodyparts in order to accept the subframe and driveline. In order to cut development costs the B3 resembled the earlier types more than the B4 where the back part is closer related to the A4. And dont be fooled, as the B4 coupé and cabriolets secretly are B3’s typ89 and not B4 8C type. 

• Like 1