Tyre Size

Jeffrey007

I run a Q3 Quattro S Line on 18" tyres. I am looking to upgrade and buy a Q3 Quattro S Line Plus showing 19" tyres (255 40R 19) 

Can I change these for 18" tyres (say 235/50R18) without replacing the rims or affecting any critical elements?

This has probably been asked many time previously - sorry!

Hello Jeffrey,

Thanks for being in touch with the forum.

If I’m reading your question correctly (and I’ve re-read it) - no, you cannot fit 18 inch tyres on 19 inch rims.

Are you sure that’s what you are really asking? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yes I think you have read correctly. Everything about the car I am considering is good - except the 19” wheels. I just think it will give me too hard a ride (as well as being more expensive to replace). 

I was hoping that fitting a smaller tyre with a compensating deeper wall would be acceptable. The Oponeo tyre site seems to suggest that fitting the 18” tyres to the same rim is within the allowable tolerance. I have clearly misunderstood the information on Oponeo. 

Thanks for your comment and advice. My search goes on for a 184bhp Quattro manual !

Hello again Jeffrey,

Your logic is sound:- the larger the wheels, the lower the tyre profile will have be, and the harsher the ride. If the vehicle of interest has 19 inch and you want 18 inch:- if the vehicle meets your requirements in all other aspects - have you considered obtaining 18 inch and negotiating an adjusted price if possible? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.