Failed DRC suspension system - should I go for shocks or coilovers?

Budgie88

The DRC suspension system on my 06 RS4 has/is failing.  I get a knocking noise at the rear every time I go over bumpy ground.

I want the ride and ride height to stay the same, so should I go for shocks or coilovers?  Or should I shell out to try & repair the DRC system?

Any recommendations of where I could get this done in the Hertfordshire area would be most welcome.  TIA.

Hi,

I had this on my old RS4 Avant a few years back and i went down the Coilover route.

I fitted a Bilstein kit that i got from Awesome GTI and then had them fitted by a local garage.

I will look up my old paperwork and see if i can find the model of the kit for you

Even with adjusting them i did find them harder day to day than the original DRC.

I can highly recommend W Andrews Autos in Old Welwyn, Herts (he's in the village).

Wayne is a good mechanic and he has looked after my 06 S4 with the V8 for years.

Regards

8 hours ago, Budgie88 said:

The DRC suspension system on my 06 RS4 has/is failing.  I get a knocking noise at the rear every time I go over bumpy ground.

I want the ride and ride height to stay the same, so should I go for shocks or coilovers?  Or should I shell out to try & repair the DRC system?

Any recommendations of where I could get this done in the Hertfordshire area would be most welcome.  TIA.

Hi have you thought about having the system recharged as over time the fluid degrades and the connecting pipes leak.

Steve.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:28 PM, Budgie88 said:

Hi, no, the pipes are corroded and not in good shape, so a replacement is needed.

I would imagine if you wanted the car to remain original then it might be worth seeing if it can be repaired/replaced but i’m sure it won’t be cheap.

The one i had was a rough example so that’s why i personally wasn’t worried about originality and went down the aftermarket route.

lots of kits available luckily