Audi a8 4.2fsi ran out of fuel now refuses to start

Stax71

Hi can anyone recommend someone who can come to my house with there machine and diagnose and fix my car. The problem is it was ran out of fuel now refuses to fire. Any suggestions welcome

Thankyou

2 hours ago, Stax71 said:

Hi can anyone recommend someone who can come to my house with there machine and diagnose and fix my car. The problem is it was ran out of fuel now refuses to fire. Any suggestions welcome

Thankyou

Hi I don't know anyone in your area but assuming you have filled it again try the old trick of sitting in car and turning ignition on to position 2 and counting to ten and turning off, repeat twelve times and then try starting, my guess is that the fuel filter has run dry and if its got no fuel back pressure the lift pump will struggle to fill the filter.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. I've tried what you suggested but still no joy. It's turning over but refuses to fire. I'm stumped and need help as this is my first audi and I have no clue

22 hours ago, Stax71 said:

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. I've tried what you suggested but still no joy. It's turning over but refuses to fire. I'm stumped and need help as this is my first audi and I have no clue

Hi ok work through the following, if you disconnect the in feed pipe for the filter then get a catch can and get an assistant to cycle the ignition to try starting if the lift pump is working the fuel should flow from the pipe, if not it could be the lift pump filter screen is blocked where its dredged up crud from the bottom of the tank, worse case scenario is the pump is knackered through being run dry, I believe your model may well have two lift pumps which are housed in the fuel tank and are accessed by removing the rear seat squab and removing the inspection panels on the metal base where the seat sits.

Steve.

Hi just had a look on ETKA and it says only one pump which is at the back of the boot just behind the rear seat, also Autodata says check the fuel pump relay first as they are prone to blowing, sorry for the confusion.

Steve.

20 minutes ago, Stax71 said:

Hi Steve Thank you for your input I took your advice and tested the pumps (there are 2) and I had a bad pump. Being changed tomorrow will update.

Hi thanks for the reply because I was looking at the generic diagrams what I saw was the later pump and believe me when you clock on the part number on google they are massive units, any way I wish you well with tomorrow and a happy outcome.

Steve.

Hi Steve Thank you for your input I took your advice and tested the pumps (there are 2) and I had a bad pump which has now been changed and is back to normal. Thank you again for your advice 

Roy