Whirring Noise at 60mph and upwards

Keg

OK....so I hit a massive pothole front drivers side wheel and massive knock to tyre and rim. Result massive bubble to tyre. Limped home and got alignment checked and adjusted, two new Michelin front tyres, both balanced and £365 later I'm back out driving. However when I reach the speed of 57 to 60 mph and upwards a whirring or humming sound starts. Seems like it's coming from the same side I hit the pothole; front right. I have no steering shake or shudder it drives straight as a you like and when back under 58mph the whirring stops. Had new bearings fitted to both front about 4 months ago. What is this noise and how can I make it stop? Any ideas gladly received:-)

Hello Kev,

Thanks for being in touch and sorry to hear of your issue.

I’m sure you will appreciate that it would be extremely difficult/impossible to diagnose the exact cause of the noise, without access to the car, and so it would only be possible to suggest possibilities. 
Obviously you need to get the car thoroughly inspected at your trusted local garage, but my first stab at it sight-unseen, would be wheel bearing (again). Where and if it’s safe to do so, try turning the steering a little when you hear the noise, and obverse whether the noise alters or not.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

9 hours ago, Keg said:

OK....so I hit a massive pothole front drivers side wheel and massive knock to tyre and rim. Result massive bubble to tyre. Limped home and got alignment checked and adjusted, two new Michelin front tyres, both balanced and £365 later I'm back out driving. However when I reach the speed of 57 to 60 mph and upwards a whirring or humming sound starts. Seems like it's coming from the same side I hit the pothole; front right. I have no steering shake or shudder it drives straight as a you like and when back under 58mph the whirring stops. Had new bearings fitted to both front about 4 months ago. What is this noise and how can I make it stop? Any ideas gladly received:-)

Sounds like a wheel bearing will need jacked up check for play on the play or noise when tilting wheel

18 hours ago, Keg said:

Hi sounds like the impact has put a flat spot in the bearing outer race, a good depth pothole will kill most bearings.

Steve.