Oils

Hi all. I bought my first audi last year & really happy! I want to look after it the best I can so new brakes,filters & oil but im not sure which oil as its got 164000 miles & I don't want to create more issues & create problems.

2007 AUDI A4 Quattro (171kW) 3.0L TDI estate b7 (8ed) Automatic 

8.2L of Castrol edge (LL) 5w-30 

synthetic or fully synthetic? 

Im not sure if 5W-30 is best due to miles?

the owners manual codes⬇️

20220302_155416.thumb.jpg.41a1214f059bdfd2e71c030c92151019.jpgAny help would be grateful.

Edited by AUDI Quattro 3L estate
Added that I don't want to create problems

Hello Michael from the Homeland,

I have a humble 2006 1.6 A3 with a couple of thousand more miles under its belt than your car. I have always used Quantum Longlife 3 ( recommended by VAG) and change it every year despite its now lower annual mileage. I only use VAG, Mann, or Bosch for all filters. I have no reason to use any other oil than the Longlife 3 - available at competitive prices, delivered to your door by a number of eBay sellers.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 3/2/2022 at 3:58 PM, AUDI Quattro 3L estate said:

Hi all. I bought my first audi last year & really happy! I want to look after it the best I can so new brakes,filters & oil but im not sure which oil as its got 164000 miles & I don't want to create more issues & create problems.

2007 AUDI A4 Quattro (171kW) 3.0L TDI estate b7 (8ed) Automatic 

8.2L of Castrol edge (LL) 5w-30 

synthetic or fully synthetic? 

Im not sure if 5W-30 is best due to miles?

the owners manual codes⬇️

20220302_155416.thumb.jpg.41a1214f059bdfd2e71c030c92151019.jpgAny help would be grateful.

Would this be any good on a budget?  There is so much to choose from my head is pickled.

Screenshot_20220307-122555.thumb.jpg.246dd0eec6b4e999928368d3c2bbb437.jpg

Hello Michael,

Why do you want to scrimp a few? £s on oil? I really don’t know what this oil is like, but I do know that Quantum has done me well over many many years. I now simply search eBay for the best price from a reliable supplier. Simple hassle free route. 
Apologies, its probably me, but why to you want to ‘pickle your head’ with this? 
Perhaps you could let us know the price of this, and the best price you have found on Quantum, so we can better understand exactly how much you are going to save over your annual mileage. 
If you are set on this oil, then it will probably do what you want it to do, and you make your own choice - which is absolutely fine- rather than taking advice from the forum - which i think is where you came in. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

15 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Michael,

Why do you want to scrimp a few? £s on oil? I really don’t know what this oil is like, but I do know that Quantum has done me well over many many years. I now simply search EBay for the best price from a reliable supplier. Simple hassle free route. 
Apologies, its probably me, but why to you want to ‘pickle your head’ with this? 
Perhaps you could let us know the price of this, and the best price you have found on Quantum, so we can better understand exactly how much you are going to save over your annual mileage. 
If you are set on this oil, then it will probably do what you want it to do, and you make your own choice - which is absolutely fine- rather than taking advice from the forum - which i think is where you came in. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth. Im not really set on any oil to be fair. The imprint on the engine oil cap recommended Castrol oil,so I priced 8.2L for around £90+ 😳

But as I don't do much milage I was looking at cheaper oils for less than half the price

Apparently choosing the right engine oil is the million dollar question...

Taking into account recommended oil ,particulate filter, engine size,miles on vehicle,any oil leakage,seals,vw506 01, vw507

Its just with the way things are at the moment....rising costs,war etc. im starting to question does it really matter what brand of oil it is?

15 minutes ago, AUDI Quattro 3L estate said:

Hi Gareth. Im not really set on any oil to be fair. The imprint on the engine oil cap recommended Castrol oil,so I priced 8.2L for around £90+ 😳

But as I don't do much milage I was looking at cheaper oils for less than half the price

Apparently choosing the right engine oil is the million dollar question...

Taking into account recommended oil ,particulate filter, engine size,miles on vehicle,any oil leakage,seals,vw506 01, vw507

Its just with the way things are at the moment....rising costs,war etc. im starting to question does it really matter what brand of oil it is?

I have never had much luck with cars in the past so perhaps im looking to deep into things with this one?

Hello Michael,

I can well understand the need to save the pennies, but in reality, your logic is flawed in terms of covering low mileages, so the oil ‘quality’ isn’t so important. Short journeys represent slow warm up, more stops and starts, more rev variations than  a car travelling much greater distances under optimum operating conditions on the motorway. You will be more dependent on oil quality than most. 
You looked at Castrol, since Audi stamp Castrol on the oil filler. OK, as I understand it, Quantum (recommended by VAG) is a brand name under the Castrol empire - so you peace of mind there? Cheaper than your Castrol price? I paid around £30 for 5ltrs of Quantum so £60 buys you 10 ltrs for your 8.2 litr need.

Mannol?  Price of that for 5 litres? I don’t know but I’m sure you do, so you can do your maths and equate it a a saving of x Costa coffees over a year of motoring. As asked - let us know the difference. On the plus side, I think I recall Stevey on here using Mannol in his taxi - a good test bed. 
Personally, I think you are armed with enough information to make a decision on this, but pardon the comment  - you appear to be procrastinating, and in danger of disappearing up a certain orifice! Just work out your cost savings and decide if those savings are worth the x cups of coffee which will no doubt be bought with the price difference. Bear in mind that your labour costs are free, so invest the savings in the best materials. 
Apologies Michael, but…….

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Michael,

I can well understand the need to save the pennies, but in reality, your logic is flawed in terms of covering low mileages, so the oil ‘quality’ isn’t so important. Short journeys represent slow warm up, more stops and starts, more rev variations than  a car travelling much greater distances under optimum operating conditions on the motorway. You will be more dependent on oil quality than most. 
You looked at Castrol, since Audi stamp Castrol on the oil filler. OK, as I understand it, Quantum (recommended by VAG) is a brand name under the Castrol empire - so you peace of mind there? Cheaper than your Castrol price? I paid around £30 for 5ltrs of Quantum so £60 buys you 10 ltrs for your 8.2 litr need.

Mannol?  Price of that for 5 litres? I don’t know but I’m sure you do, so you can do your maths and equate it a a saving of x Costa coffees over a year of motoring. As asked - let us know the difference. On the plus side, I think I recall Stevey on here using Mannol in his taxi - a good test bed. 
Personally, I think you are armed with enough information to make a decision on this, but pardon the comment  - you appear to be procrastinating, and in danger of disappearing up a certain orifice! Just work out your cost savings and decide if those savings are worth the x cups of coffee which will no doubt be bought with the price difference. Bear in mind that your labour costs are free, so invest the savings in the best materials. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

1 hour ago, AUDI Quattro 3L estate said:
2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Michael,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

😆Thankyou Gareth much appreciated.

The price of the oil pictured above is currently £24 for 5 litres so £48 buys you 10 litres.

You can purchase a 20 litre drum for £82

Dont mean to procrastinate & disappear any further.....

20 Litres = x2 oil changes + 3.6 litres left over for the equivalent 8 litres of Castrol. Just weighing up options & costs.

No need to apologise,  Thankyou for the information.

Many thanks Michael,

So you have Mannol giving you a significant saving over  Castrol, and just c£12 less for 10 litres if you buy the Castrol derivative - Quantum. I suppose it depends how important that £12 saving is over a year’s motoring. 

Obviously if you are buying in bulk of 20 litres to save a little more, then of course you have to invest more than that £12 up front for longer term savings. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, Magnet said:

Many thanks Michael,

So you have Mannol giving you a significant saving over  Castrol, and just c£12 less for 10 litres if you buy the Castrol derivative - Quantum. I suppose it depends how important that £12 saving is over a year’s motoring. 

Obviously if you are buying in bulk of 20 litres to save a little more, then of course you have to invest more than that £12 up front for longer term savings. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Great offer in costco for Castrol.

Screenshot_20220323-175416_Gallery.jpg