Rhythmic drone at speed.

Mullz

When I get up to 60-70 I get this droning sound for 2 seconds in and out then normal for 2/3s then back again, it's very rhythmic.

Happens in and out of gear, clutch in and out.

An interesting test means if I turn from one lane to another a bit more than you would normally the drone goes away for one cycle as you switch lanes then as soon as you straighten up it comes back.

Been to garage and had ROS bearing replaced and rest of the wheels checked and ok, drone is still there.

What else could it be?

D

Edited by Mullz

20 hours ago, Mullz said:

When I get up to 60-70 I get this droning sound for 2 seconds in and out then normal for 2/3s then back again, it's very rhythmic.

Happens in and out of gear, clutch in and out.

An interesting test means if I turn from one lane to another a bit more than you would normally the drone goes away for one cycle as you switch lanes then as soon as you straighten up it comes back.

Been to garage and had ROS bearing replaced and rest of the wheels checked and ok, drone is still there.

What else could it be?

D

Hi have you had a look at the tyres as the budget versions tend to be noisy when worn.

Steve.

22 minutes ago, Mullz said:

Weirdly all tyres have been replaced over the course of the time the drone has been present.

Hi I would say then it is probably a dry wheel bearing possibly front as you say it changes when you swap lanes, a knackered bearing would get noisier when you steer left or right, dry bearings only make noise in a straight line.

Steve.

Ah thanks Steve, hadn't even crossed my mind it could just be a dry one. Any way to tell which one or lube without much work? Or is it a case of forking out for the garage to take both wheels off etc

23 hours ago, Mullz said:

Ah thanks Steve, hadn't even crossed my mind it could just be a dry one. Any way to tell which one or lube without much work? Or is it a case of forking out for the garage to take both wheels off etc

Hi I have always found that best policy is replace both as that way you are guaranteed to get the offending unit, unfortunately you can't re lubricate the bearings as they are sealed units the outside seal contains the speed sensor ring, the job itself is not to bad and your garage will love you forever if you go the extra £ and buy the bearings with the hub flange already fitted as that saves the labour on pressing the old one out. The grease in the bearings dries out over time/milage if you consider the age of your car its a testament to the build quality of the bearings.

Steve.