Steering Clunk when starting to reverse - Any Ideas

Hi

I have an A7 which, as I start to reverse, the steering make a very definite clunk noise. Think it's near side.

My dealer has had look at the car when in for service, and said they can't work it out. 

Any ideas welcome please. Thanks

Thanks fo joining the forum.

Rather confusing,and more detail required:- 

When you say you get a clunk from the - steering- are you sure it’s the steering (anything felt through the steering wheel?).

You think you are hearing something at the near side - are you sure this is steering noise, rather than a drive/ take up transmission noise? 
Have you had an assistant standing at the side of the car to better isolate where the noise is coming from? 
Does the noise alter if you put the car on full lock either side before starting to reverse? 
Perhaps you could come back to us Alan.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Many thanks Mike,

It seems the original poster joined, posted his plea for help via. his first and only post, returned to the forum some hours later and has not bothered to return to view any help offered, leave alone answer a couple of questions raised. 
Strange that the topic of just such instances was only raised last week. 
Still there you go eh!? 
Many thanks again Mike,

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

3 hours ago, X000-000X said:

Hi Alan,

To add to what Gareth has already suggested, if you reverse, then pull forward a bit then back to reverse does it clunk the second time?

Kind regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your time and question. It seems to do it once only, and moreso when I am reversing with a left-hand lock. Does that help 😉

13 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Many thanks Mike,

It seems the original poster joined, posted his plea for help via. his first and only post, returned to the forum some hours later and has not bothered to return to view any help offered, leave alone answer a couple of questions raised. 
Strange that the topic of just such instances was only raised last week. 
Still there you go eh!? 
Many thanks again Mike,

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back 🙂 

On 5/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Alan,

Thanks fo joining the forum.

Rather confusing,and more detail required:- 

When you say you get a clunk from the - steering- are you sure it’s the steering (anything felt through the steering wheel?).

You think you are hearing something at the near side - are you sure this is steering noise, rather than a drive/ take up transmission noise? 
Have you had an assistant standing at the side of the car to better isolate where the noise is coming from? 
Does the noise alter if you put the car on full lock either side before starting to reverse? 
Perhaps you could come back to us Alan.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

Apologies for delay in response. You feel it in the steering wheel... garage said "steering" but can't seem to work out what saying it all looked safe. Been through an MOT okay with it but it's a real clunk... not when put into reverse, only when then rolling back as you start to reverse... mainly with a left hand lock on too.

Appreciate your assistance and now I know this forum is really on it, I know I will be too 😉

On 5/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, X000-000X said:

To add to what Gareth has already suggested, if you reverse, then pull forward a bit then back to reverse does it clunk the second time?

Kind regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, 

Just tried that following your suggestion, thank you. No... just the first time. It does it even if reversing in a straight line but the sound is more prominent (and with much more feel in the steering wheel) when in left hand down lock.

Thanks

On 5/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, X000-000X said:

Kind regards,

Mike

No, only the once. Thanks

I’m really not sure about the impolite comments, which I guess you interpreted from my post some 5 days later to yours, and at a point where you hadn’t returned to the forum to view any responses. I saw my comments as factual, rather than aimed at being impolite. 
Not that it should matter, but I’m knocking the door of 80 years of age, and have always attempted to deal with people in a polite manner, and always end my posts in that vein. Of course, during that span of years, there has no doubt been occasions where that philosophy has failed, and offence has been caused - as in this case, and my style has been to tender apologies - which I do in this case. 
In defence of the forum, I would claim that there are a number of stallwood responders her who give a considerable amount of their time in an attempt to hopefully help others, and with a recent spate of non responses from people who post for the first time, this has (understandably in my opinion) resulted in a some criticism. 
Having said that, there has been an aim towards politeness, and that will continue in my posts, and I’m sure with other responders. 
To end this on a more lighthearted note:- one of the Marcs brothers said ‘ I wouldn’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.