2009 EPB

RoyC

If you fit new EPB rear brake calipers, do you have to program them or are they plug and play ?

I have a vag com for opening and closing.

1 hour ago, RoyC said:

If you fit new EPB rear brake calipers, do you have to program them or are they plug and play ?

I have a vag com for opening and closing.

Hi they will need recoding and adaptation but if you have Vagcom its doable just make sure you save the original long coding as that will get you out of the cr@p if it starts going sideways.

Steve

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi they will need recoding and adaptation but if you have Vagcom its doable just make sure you save the original long coding as that will get you out of the cr@p if it starts going sideways.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:26 PM, Stevey Y said:

Steve

I am not very good at coding.

Just a thought, If I get new calipers and fit my actuators to them, then they won't need coding.

Am I correct ?

10 hours ago, RoyC said:

I am not very good at coding.

Just a thought, If I get new calipers and fit my actuators to them, then they won't need coding.

Am I correct ?

Hi thats correct but you gave no clue as to whats wrong with the old ones so I was working on the assumption that one or both sides had some sort of failure electronically, if you don't have to replace the actuators all good but whatever you do put the rear brakes into service/pad change mode before fitting new units and above all do not unplug the drive motors or you will loose the existing coding, then you will have real problems.

Steve.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi thats correct but you gave no clue as to whats wrong with the old ones so I was working on the assumption that one or both sides had some sort of failure electronically, if you don't have to replace the actuators all good but whatever you do put the rear brakes into service/pad change mode before fitting new units and above all do not unplug the drive motors or you will loose the existing coding, then you will have real problems.

Steve.

Nothing wrong with the calipers that are on there, I just want new calipers so that I can paint them. (the car has only done 42k)

So you are saying, OK to remove the new servos from the new calipers, paint the calipers then fit the old servos without unplugging them and screw them to the new calipers. 

This is one of the new front calipers that I have painted.

IMG_4187.JPG

16 minutes ago, RoyC said:

Nothing wrong with the calipers that are on there, I just want new calipers so that I can paint them. (the car has only done 42k)

So you are saying, OK to remove the new servos from the new calipers, paint the calipers then fit the old servos without unplugging them and screw them to the new calipers. 

This is one of the new front calipers that I have painted.

IMG_4187.JPG

Hi if there is nothing wrong with the old callipers I would of given them a good going over with some 120 grit oxide paper then a good clean with rubbing alcohol before painting, and yes just use the existing servo units. Nice job with the painting.

Steve.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi if there is nothing wrong with the old callipers I would of given them a good going over with some 120 grit oxide paper then a good clean with rubbing alcohol before painting, and yes just use the existing servo units. Nice job with the painting.

Steve.

I have been using stove blacking on them for years and it's a bugger to get rid of.

That's why I had new calipers for the front.

Here's a photo of my old front calipers with stove blacking on them. 

IMG_4176 (1).JPG

23 hours ago, RoyC said:

I have been using stove blacking on them for years and it's a bugger to get rid of.

That's why I had new calipers for the front.

Here's a photo of my old front calipers with stove blacking on them. 

IMG_4176 (1).JPG

Hi TBH that is not a bad finish, I would not stick my nose up at that considering the age of the vehicle the stove blacking is obviously doing a sterling job of keeping the corrosion at bay, its got a sort of retro gothic look.

Steve.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi TBH that is not a bad finish, I would not stick my nose up at that considering the age of the vehicle the stove blacking is obviously doing a sterling job of keeping the corrosion at bay, its got a sort of retro gothic look.

Steve.

I agree with you about looking OK, but I have to do it about four times a year to keep it looking like that or the rust comes back.

I'm hoping that new, rust free calipers painted will just require a wash when the wheels are done.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RoyC said:

I agree with you about looking OK, but I have to do it about four times a year to keep it looking like that or the rust comes back.

I'm hoping that new, rust free calipers painted will just require a wash when the wheels are done.

Hi I think you will get exactly what you want with that finish, just stay clear of acid wheel cleaner as that will kill the paint in record time.

Steve.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I think you will get exactly what you want with that finish, just stay clear of acid wheel cleaner as that will kill the paint in record time.

Steve.

My wheels never get dirty enough to have to use that stuff, thanks for the tip anyway. 

I don't like pressure washers either.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:26 PM, Stevey Y said:

Steve

I have been looking at this video and there is no mention of recoding and adaptation. 

7 hours ago, RoyC said:

I have been looking at this video and there is no mention of recoding and adaptation. 

7 hours ago, RoyC said:

Hi Roy most informative video, I particularly liked the soldering/saddering part where his industrial size soldering gun was flying about and melting bits of the shielding on other wires and the total omission of how he found which wire was what I heard something about a multimeter at one point.

Anyway I digress the reason I said to save the long coding was that it gives you a reference point if you change the units and they don't want to play, chances are all will be fine as long as you know if your system is UDS/Non UDS as the procedures for cycling the calipers are different for both also make sure you have a battery charger or donor battery connected to the jump posts as sudden voltage drop will kill your hand brake control module, also he did not mention he had left the battery connected while mucking about with wires its a dodgy hobby.

Steve.

• Like 1

My battery is on charge 24/7 as I only use the car once a week to go to Asda, haha.

New 110Ah battery 12 months ago.

I am surprised that no one on here has ever unplugged their parking brake (EPB)

What's UDS ?

On 6/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, RoyC said:

My battery is on charge 24/7 as I only use the car once a week to go to Asda, haha.

New 110Ah battery 12 months ago.

I am surprised that no one on here has ever unplugged their parking brake (EPB)

What's UDS ?

Hi UDS is a more aggressive scanning mode that is more suited to Canbus data software systems, with regard to unplugging things I can see why people don't do it as when my car had a new clutch master fitted we unplugged a fair few connectors on the GEM module above it to get the GEM out to give access to the clutch master cylinder, the car was dormant and had not been run for about eight hours but when I plugged in to see if there were any faults BINGO every service we had disconnected from the GEM had a one time lost contact code the ignition was never on but the only thing I can conclude is all systems are monitored around the clock even when not in use.

Steve.

• Like 1

I have purchased a pair of calipers, two caliper carriers and a couple of discs so am ready to get painting when it all arrives.

I will clean up the existing motors without unplugging them and screw them to the new painted bits.

Front ones are all fitted.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RoyC said:

I have purchased a pair of calipers, two caliper carriers and a couple of discs so am ready to get painting when it all arrives.

I will clean up the existing motors without unplugging them and screw them to the new painted bits.

Front ones are all fitted.

Hi it sounds like thats best practise as if its not broken why change it and possibly run into problems you did not previously have plus the bonus of having two new spare servos, you will probably never need them but its always good to have spares.

Steve.

36 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi it sounds like thats best practise as if its not broken why change it and possibly run into problems you did not previously have plus the bonus of having two new spare servos, you will probably never need them but its always good to have spares.

Steve.

Yer, I think so as I can't get vcds to work on this useless windows 11 laptop.

47 minutes ago, RoyC said:

Yer, I think so as I can't get vcds to work on this useless windows 11 laptop.

Can any one recommend an alternative to this useless VCDS thing ?

IMG_4193.JPG

23 hours ago, RoyC said:

Can any one recommend an alternative to this useless VCDS thing ?

IMG_4193.JPG

Hi its not the VCDS cable or the program thats useless its windows eleven thats the problem as it thinks the VCDS program is a virus in simple terms so it blocks it, what you need is an old laptop like I have that is running windows seven and has NO anti virus software downloaded because it never gets connected to the internet regularly it won't need it.

Steve.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi its not the VCDS cable or the program thats useless its windows eleven thats the problem as it thinks the VCDS program is a virus in simple terms so it blocks it, what you need is an old laptop like I have that is running windows seven and has NO anti virus software downloaded because it never gets connected to the internet regularly it won't need it.

Steve.

Haha, Great minds and all that.

Sorted my old PC out with windows 8.1, wiped it clean and installed chrome and VCDS only.

Works ok now.

I think Win 11 is too unstable any way to risk programing with, it crashes too often.