Engin e dies

Hawks

Q7 had thus on going problem 18mnths engine starts no problem ,on acceleration engine dies goes into limp,no lights come on and no codes come up ,all back to normal after restarting ,it has been on diagnostics so many times it might aswell have o e permanently attached,it's had new turbo,new battery,new alternator, crank shift sensor ,egr valve ,fuel filter,air filter,it can happen at any time it won't clear by on and off throttle, or by changing gear in manual, it want go up or down in the gears ,it has had a starting issue which has now been put down to faulty ignition barrel which is due to be changed  ,could this cause acceleration problems ? Any ideas 

3 hours ago, Hawks said:

Q7 had thus on going problem 18mnths engine starts no problem ,on acceleration engine dies goes into limp,no lights come on and no codes come up ,all back to normal after restarting ,it has been on diagnostics so many times it might aswell have o e permanently attached,it's had new turbo,new battery,new alternator, crank shift sensor ,egr valve ,fuel filter,air filter,it can happen at any time it won't clear by on and off throttle, or by changing gear in manual, it want go up or down in the gears ,it has had a starting issue which has now been put down to faulty ignition barrel which is due to be changed  ,could this cause acceleration problems ? Any ideas 

Hi I don't think the ignition barrel would cause the cutting out/limp mode it sounds more like a couple of plastic teeth missing off the gear that opens the throttle valve.

Steve.

11 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I don't think the ignition barrel would cause the cutting out/limp mode it sounds more like a couple of plastic teeth missing off the gear that opens the throttle valve.

Steve.

Thanks for reply but wouldn't a throttle valve fault show a code or mot if it is just teeth missed 

11 hours ago, Hawks said:

Thanks for reply but wouldn't a throttle valve fault show a code or mot if it is just teeth missed 

Hi not entirely as I have noted in the past that the presence of a code or EML is entirely the interpretation given by the software writer for that model its all about the monitoring system, I.E. my Mondeo used to die and then be ok once restarted no light just a code, my daughters Q3 just threw a code for the throttle position sensor on the pedal which very rarely give problems so I changed the valve on the engine side and no codes or anything for the last 20k and the major problem is that most of the time if the fault its random it will drive cycle out quickly and leave no fault, some of these Generic code readers like my guys £5000 Snap on unit won't pick up the codes thats why I am a fan of OBD Eleven and VCDS as they pick up everything because they are manufacturer specific, for the sake of stripping the unit off and inspecting/replacing/cleaning its worth a shot as you have just about replaced every other component that would give trouble.

Steve.