HELP!! My A3 needs an engine rebuild

Hannah Savage

I literally just joined this forum to post this. My beloved Audi A3 convertible TFSI has had the dreaded timing chain go on me this week. My quote is ball park figure of £3,000. There was no warning light, no banging, no vibrating nothing at all to tell me it was about to go. I parked it last Friday, went to drive it Saturday but there was no power. I had hoped as I hadn't driven it there would be little to no damage to the engine, but my luck wasn't in. So far the mechanic can only see 2 damaged valves but there is a possibily all 16 are damaged and do I want to go ahead with more investigations to see what the exact damage is or stop now and cut my losses. He thinks I might get £1000 spares or repair. Before this the car never missed a beat, it has been the best car I've had in 30 years of driving. However it is 58 plate and has 120,000 miles on the clock. I really don't know what to do. Heart v Head-the car has sentimental value as I bought it 4 years ago with money left me by my mum. Head says time to cut your losses but this means virtually starting from scratch. Realistically what would it be worth if I had the work done ? I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I've posted this in the right place but would love some opinions please.

If it was my car and had that type of sentimental value (and could afford the repairs) I'd go ahead with getting the rebuild as like you said "it has been the best car I've had in 30 years of driving." or if you are struggling to get this done in one hit you could always buy a run around until the £££ comes in.

Always a difficult decision but ultimately it's down to you 😞 hope my opinion was worth something and please keep us updated. Hope it all works out for you.

• Like 1

I know the feeling. I'm sentimental about my A6 too. It's been owned by my dad then me a d we've had it from new (20 years). I'm already thinking about the future when the engine goes bang. I'll be putting in a replacement engine that will be tuned.