BEST TYRES

Blueit

i AM LOOKING TO RENEW MY TYRE S ON MY AUDI A4 FSTI 1.4 AND WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HEARING OWNERS SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHICH THEY FEEL ARE THE BEST.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED'

CHEERS.

Hi Allen,

On my old A4 B9 2.0 tdi (non quattro), i always try to get Continental Sport or Premium Contact tyres.

I did try Goodyear 'something' efficiency tyres, and they were okay too.

I know it is tough on the purse these days, but i would always recommend buying tyres at the top of you budget range and don't skimp.  I honestly believe you pay for what you get in tyres, and the tyres will save you when you need them to (slippery road, low traction, hard braking, etc).

Joe

I usually stick with Mitchelin,

Hard wearing, low noise.

I never drive hard or in the wet, unless I am caught out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoyC said:

I usually stick with Mitchelin,

Hard wearing, low noise.

I never drive hard or in the wet, unless I am caught out.

I'm using Michelin Supremacy at moment I'm happy with performance, but my car only has only done  14,000, miles (I don't drive hard), and they need renewing (side wall cracks).

I am trying to find something more hard wearing.

Thanks for your thoughts

3 hours ago, JMKC82 said:

Hi Allen,

On my old A4 B9 2.0 tdi (non quattro), i always try to get Continental Sport or Premium Contact tyres.

I did try Goodyear 'something' efficiency tyres, and they were okay too.

I know it is tough on the purse these days, but i would always recommend buying tyres at the top of you budget range and don't skimp.  I honestly believe you pay for what you get in tyres, and the tyres will save you when you need them to (slippery road, low traction, hard braking, etc).

Joe

Thanks for that Joe. At present I am using "Michelin Supremacy"  I am quite happy with performance, however, my car has only done 14,000miles and tyres need renewing (side wall cracks). I don't drive hard and would expected a "longer shelf life" that why I'm open to owners recommendations before parting with my hard earned cash.

Take Care.

Thanks for your advice it much appreciated.

Hello Allen,

If you want hardwearing, then Michelin have proved to be that over the last 10 years at least. 
Your sidewall cracking? What are the dates on your tyres? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Your sidewall cracking? What are the dates on your tyres?

I was about to ask the same question.  If your car is 2017, i wouldn't expect the tyres (assuming from new) the side walls to crack.  Especially premium Michelin's.

Are you running them with the correct tyre pressure ?

My tyres are 45 psi front and 40 psi rear.

Hello Allen,

That’s a vey low mileage for a 5 year old car, and presumably sits it around unused for long periods of time - in a garage, out of the sun and elements? Or perhaps outside where the sun gets at it? If outside, are the tyres on one side, more cracked than the other? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

20 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Allen,

That’s a vey low mileage for a 5 year old car, and presumably sits it around unused for long periods of time - in a garage, out of the sun and elements? Or perhaps outside where the sun gets at it? If outside, are the tyres on one side, more cracked than the other? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, thanks for your interest.

My car has not done many miles over the years because until recently I had a Mazda MX 5 which I used quite a lot ( I have now sold it).

The Audi is not garaged (never has been) tyres are from new, so obviously 5 years old. I didn't take their age into consideration when i assessed the wear (I 'm not the brightest button in the box)'

All in all, I suppose they have served me well and I shouldn't complain.

All tyre walls have cracks so unfortunately, I will need to replace them all.

I may end up getting "Michelin Supremacy's" again, however, I was interested to hear what other Audi owners had to say.

Thanks again for your interest.

Take care.

Many thanks Allen,

I currently have Primacy 4, but never had trouble with sidewall cracking on Michelin, even though the car sits out 24/7 and one side gets direct sunlight through the day. 
Yes, it would be reasonable to assume that the tyres are only as old as the car, but not necessarily so. You should find the date code in on oval/rounded end recessed box with a date such as 3016 for example - which translates into week 30 of 2016. Usually on sidewall near to the rim, rather than nearer to the tread area. 
It would be interesting to know what dates yours are - they could be a year or so older than the car. 
Tyre pressures usually kept within limit?? 
How much tread have you got left on these 14k mikes tyres Allen? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

20 hours ago, Magnet said:

Many thanks Allen,

I currently have Primacy 4, but never had trouble with sidewall cracking on Michelin, even though the car sits out 24/7 and one side gets direct sunlight through the day. 
Yes, it would be reasonable to assume that the tyres are only as old as the car, but not necessarily so. You should find the date code in on oval/rounded end recessed box with a date such as 3016 for example - which translates into week 30 of 2016. Usually on sidewall near to the rim, rather than nearer to the tread area. 
It would be interesting to know what dates yours are - they could be a year or so older than the car. 
Tyre pressures usually kept within limit?? 
How much tread have you got left on these 14k mikes tyres Allen? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Tyres  Supremacy 3 - are dated :50-16. Tread 14mm.

Cheers.

Thanks Allen,

Mid December 2016 for your 2017 vehicle - so that’s fine. 
In my book, these should not be exhibiting sidewall cracking - but we don’t know the severity. 
Tread 14mm! ? They are only 8 to 9 mm when new. You wouldn’t have missed a decimal point out, and they are 1.4mm? - but 1.4 would be illegal, so can’t be that.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went through Michelin, Pirelli, Khumo and other bands on my A4 B9 before staying with Goodyear Eagle AS3 (now 5)

I got 17-20k miles on the front and they feel great.

My A5 came with a brand new set of the GY so I've got something to compare ahead of replacing.

9 hours ago, jdragon said:

I went through Michelin, Pirelli, Khumo and other bands on my A4 B9 before staying with Goodyear Eagle AS3 (now 5)

I got 17-20k miles on the front and they feel great.

My A5 came with a brand new set of the GY so I've got something to compare ahead of replacing.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated

On 7/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, RoyC said:

Are you running them with the correct tyre pressure ?

My tyres are 45 psi front and 40 psi rear.

This is a very good point.

I was surprised by the higher pressure going from A4 B8 to A5 B9 - definitely something to check.

Are those pressures for extra load tyres and full occupancy?

1 hour ago, jdragon said:

Are those pressures for extra load tyres and full occupancy?

No, that's for normal load driving.

Full load is pretty much 50psi front and rear.

My tyres are 255/35 R19 96Y XL.

TYRE PRESSURES.JPG

1 hour ago, jdragon said:

How do you find the 19s? I'm considering putting a set on mine 🤔 

I like them.

I get a little more room between the calliper and the rim, helps when cleaning them.

49 minutes ago, jdragon said:

I think however black rims would look better on my car.

I am not a fan of black, you lose all definition.

If going black any style will do.

• Like 1