Audi A3 EA211 engine knocking/tapping

mechamanz

Hi,

Looking to purchase an audi a3, went to view it today and noticed a knocking/tapping sound in the engine bay, when idling, see video: 

Is this normal or could there be some sort of issue? My sister has a seat leon with the exact same engine but doesnt have this knocking sound when idling...

Thanks

Hello Abu,

Thanks for joining and posting your plea.

The only question you need to ask yourself is whether Audi would have manufactured a car that would have had a knocking/tapping noise when new -? 
The answer to that should firmly direct you to just walk away. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I haven’t listened to the noise.

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Abu,

Thanks for joining and posting your plea.

The only question you need to ask yourself is whether Audi would have manufactured a car that would have had a knocking/tapping noise when new -? 
The answer to that should firmly direct you to just walk away. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I haven’t listened to the noise.

Thanks for the feedback and I see your point. If I was to re-phrase my question, it is more to understand whether the sound which I am describing as 'knocking/tapping' is in fact the standard sound from factory (and is applicable across all audi a3s) or if it something which isn't normal and therefore I steer clear

Hello Abu,

Apologies, but you are just re-asking the question I have just answered! 
It could be me, but to repeat - do you really think that Audi would market a knocking/tapping engined new car? 
Is there any chance you have already fallen in love with this car, and are hoping someone will come along and confirm a knocking/tapping car is fine to buy, and you can go along with what you want to do? 
Apologies and kind regards,

Gareth.

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Abu,

Apologies, but you are just re-asking the question I have just answered! 
It could be me, but to repeat - do you really think that Audi would market a knocking/tapping engined new car? 
Is there any chance you have already fallen in love with this car, and are hoping someone will come along and confirm a knocking/tapping car is fine to buy, and you can go along with what you want to do? 
Apologies and kind regards,

Gareth.

Nope, the car is for my sister, I have been on the search slowly over the past few weeks and in no rush to buy.

My point is - I am not too familiar with these engines, and usually there are a whole load of different sounds in an engine bay, most of which are perfectly fine and normal. What I am subjectively describing as a 'knock' or 'tap', could in fact be normal running of the engine. Have you at least watched the video to witness the sound - to judge whether there is in fact a knock sound that doesn't sound right?

26 minutes ago, RoyC said:

Could it be a blow from the exhaust ?

I dont think so, the sound I am describing is when the vehicle is idling there is that deeper whirring sound, almost like a diesel. It could be absolutely nothing and I am just overthinking

Hello Abu again,

Although I firmly stand by my original advice, I did later think that I should have listened to your video - so I did that - and thought, it’s a diesel on a cold morning, so nothing more ( to my poor hearing) than would be expected. I noted that you didn’t say it was a diesel, but posters seldom post anything like a comprehensive description. Now of course we known it isn’t a diesel! 
I yet again find myself potentially apologising for repeating my original advice, so I’m not going to.

’…and I am just overthinking…’. No I really don’t think so Abu. Repeating, I think you ideally want someone to tell you it’s fine - and I really can’t see that happening. 

I’m prattling on, but you don’t tell us anything about the mileage,   verified- at- Audi-dealer service history, MOT history , any history of ownership, all of which I guess you  will have researched before even viewing the vehicle. I guess you could say it’s not my business, but if you are acting as an ‘recommender’ for a family member, then anything short of in-depth mechanical experience could end in tears. If I were in your situation, I would simply act as the initial sorter-outer, having done all the homework as above, and looked over the vehicle ( which may be exactly what you are doing, but the enquiry in this case would raise concerns).  Once you have done all your homework, and think the vehicle is worthy of having a professional inspection, then you hand that responsibility over to the likes of the AA. 
For the final time on this post - I wish you all the good luck you might need Abu. 
Appreciating all of this is pessimistic, but it could well save you from any family issues in the future! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1