Flashing glow plug light

Qbot

Any guidance would be appreciate on 2008 Q7 with 3 litre BUG Engine
Drove Q7 30miles perfect as always. Started to drive home after being parked all day and car died twice. Restarted again and goes for a few miles with glow plug light flashing and unexpectedly dies. Restarts again with glow plug light flashing. This keeps happening.

No EML on and no codes picked up on icarsoft vw code reader.
Any ideas where to start? 
Many thanks

Same thing happened to my 2007 q7. Glow plug light started flashing but drove fine all the way home. Started it the day after and all was fine for around 500 yards then started flashing again then cut out. Would start straight up but drive 500 yard and cut out again. Then 200 yards then cut out until eventually it wouldn’t start it just turned over and over and not even try to start. No EML but had a code on vcds for an injector short to ground or something similar. Cleared the code but still wouldn’t start. Changed all 6 injectors ,high pressure fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator but still would just turn over and over. Turned out to be the ecu that had been spiked by a faulty injector. Bought a 2nd hand unit from eBay and got a mate of a mate to clone it to be the same as mine. Started first time after that.

• Like 1

Just had AA homestart out to look at it. Similar to what BigDave has said he found  codes saying no power to injectors. Fuel pressure good. His suggestion was to check ECU plugs which I have done . So looks like its replacement or repair ECU time.

I sent my ecu to a company called ecutesting.com. They had good reviews and was about £220 to repair including postage. They confirmed it was faulty and do an exchange included but unfortunately they didn’t have one like mine in stock so refunded my money and sent it back. So it ended up being a free diagnosis. I then got a secondhand one and got it cloned. 
 The ecu is a bit of a pain to take off as you have to grind the cradle it’s in as the bolts have no heads to unbolt off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update: sent ecu to ecutesting who confirmed it was water damaged and beyond repair.

So bought a plug and play replacement from a firm called Cartech which arrived next day, plugged in and perfect ,away we go.

I would recommend this firm as the ecu was cheaper and looked new compared to all the grotty old ones on eBay.

Thanks to BigDave for advice and his experience .