Oil leak

Darylbob

Oright folks, just wanting to see if I can pick your brains for a bit of help I've a 2010 a3 tdi 170 that has a slight oil leak which looks to be coming from the turbo area its been there since I got it a few years ago, I had the clutch replaced last year an asked the lad to see what he thought it might be am he had a quick look an asked if the turbo has been replaced and it has he mentioned that it could be a copper seal that's not been renewed, I'm going to upload some pictures shortly once I get it jacked up an the undertray off. I don't know if this is connected but I have noticed since I got the car that the turbo doesn't sound normal hard to describe but it's almost like a pronounced air whoosh as you get up the revs  any thoughts or help would be appreciated guys cheers

19 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Daryl.

I never heard my turbo make any sort of noise, so given that you can hear yours and there is an oil leak in its vicinity I'd say yours definitely needs to be taken off for investigation.

Yes it does need to come off but if it's possible I want to try an diagnose the problem before I start pulling it apart as I've heard pulling turbos on these is a pain in the !Removed!, an I'd like to have any gaskets or whatever it needs at hand for when it's taken apart

The video doesn't really help. I suppose a split in the turbo intake connection would explain the noise and the oil leak, but I would have expected your mechanic to have seen any such split. I have never worked on a turbo so can not suggest anything further.