Why Was the A4 1.4 Discontinued?

Ujw

Hello, 

I have the 1.4 A4 and I've just read that they stopped producing the 1.4 150, and the 2.0 150 is what they expect most people to buy.
Now I'm just curious, they both have similar hp and 0-60 times, the 1.4 has better mpg and lower tax, then why did they discontinue this engine on the A4? Is it unreliable? 

Thanks,

Hi Ujwal, 

I have nothing to say about Audi's decisions but I personally chose 2.0 150 bhp over 1.4 150 bhp for a better reliability. At least in my perception, a 2L engine is sturdier than a 1.4 one but I am in no way an auto technician. Not sure I was right though as now I am fighting a barely working heater 🙂

The 1.4 TSI petrol engine used in the Audi A4 was replaced by the more advanced 1.5 TSI engine first introduced in the VW group in 2017.  This replacement engine offers cylinder on demand and improved fuel economy.

1 hour ago, TheITGuy said:

The 1.4 TSI petrol engine used in the Audi A4 was replaced by the more advanced 1.5 TSI engine first introduced in the VW group in 2017.  This replacement engine offers cylinder on demand and improved fuel economy.

Thanks for that info, worth knowing. I bet it's got better emissions too.