MMI Problems..

Steve OE55YHY

HI All,

I've just bought an a6 Avant C6 3.0 TDI Quattro.

It's a very quiet drive due to lack of music or radio or anything else for that matter..

If I push the screen button to the side of the MMI Screen it comes up with the Audi logo and the center console illuminates for about 30s then goes out.

If i randomly jab at the buttons it some times powers up the screen and console, but then goes out again.

The CD changer in the glove box has power and makes noises like you would expect.

The NAV unit in the boot has power, it ejects and accepts the disc.

Previous owner says he changed the PCB in the center console, but not sure what results he had previously.

Any pointers greatly received.....

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve. I have the same problem. I push the on button, fires up to a welcome screen, then 'NOTES' then goes blank again. None of the buttons on the centre console illuminate, cd goes through the discs when I open the car etc.

I had an audi mechanic come round and he traced the fault back to the radio module in the boot (LHS). There are various modules, and if one fails, they all fail. He said I need a new radio module, and I have one arriving in a couple of days , used from a breaker, £100.

Now I've heard that they need to be coded to the car, but he says it might just fire up without coding, though he's able to code it if necessary. 

I'll let you know how I get on.

But I think you'll need someone with proper diagnostic tools to isolate the problem. I'm fortunate that this is the local dealer's head tech guy and he's happy to come to me off the books.