Q8 winter wheels and tyre

Imfifer

Good morning Ian

First of all, congratulations on buying a new Q8. May you have many happy,safe and enjoyable miles in it.

Regards winter tyres for the car. I purchases a new Q8 55 TFSI in September 2020. It has now completed 33,000 miles with nothing going wrong at all. It's a fine car, comfortable, well built and powerful enough. So, I think I made a good choice and at the end of the year when the car has completed 40,000 miles I will probably replace with another one.

I travel to Germany at least twice a year. It's a journey I have made for many years now so its a country I know quite well and I am aware of the tyre requirements and legislation demanded between the months of October through to March. These are the months I travel.

Living in Hampshire , I have no need for a full winter tyre and I realise that you living in Inverness just might.

However, I changed the original equipment Hankook Vento tyres to a set of Pirelli Scorpion all season tyres. They have now been on the car for almost 20,000 miles.

I find them excellent. Good grip and quiet. I have just returned from Deutschland after a  3 week trip there, driving up into the Bavarian Alps. We encountered no snow but pretty cold and icy roads. On our last trip last October / Novemeber, we were in Lower Saxony where it snowed quite heavily.

The Pirellis held up in these conditions and gave me enough grip Also they pass the German tyre requirements for winter months.

So, it's just a thought but perhaps you could consider all weathers as an alternative to full winter tyres.

One last thing. My car is a bog standard S class model so the original tyre size is 21 " and not 22 's. I think the Pirellis now come in 22's . Profile and speed rating would be the same.  They are a bit pricey working out at approximately £300 each but it could be an alternative for you.

Best wishes and enjoy your wonderful car.

Frank

Hello Ian,

Changing from 22 inch to 20 inch wheels is not really straightforward, since the change will affect gearing etc. unless the total dia. of wheel and tyre are a very close match to that of your ( low profile) 22 inch tyres and wheel. 
The profile increase would be significant - tyre width for width, and you could work it out with some maths ( or I could work it out for you if I knew your current tyre width, but I’m having a lazy day! ). 
There will be a choice of websites which will assist you information on profile increases when fitting small dia. wheels. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.