Audi A4 Allroad B9 2018

NickB4

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'd like to know what thoughts are. My A4 Allroad 2.0 tdi 2018 has only done 26000 miles in 5 years so is now required to have a timing belt change. Audi have quoted £600+ for this, when I asked if that included water pump and tensioner they said that would be another £300+. Is it really necessary to have a new pump at this mileage? 

Hello Nick,

Thanks for joining. 

Your cambelt enquiry touches on a fairly regular query - particularly in respect of low annual mileage vehicles, although others have questioned the need to renew the belt at such a low mileage. 
My reply to that is that low annual mileages are normally covered via. short journeys which results in more stop starts that would be encountered on high mileage motorway use. The upshot is that the belt gets far more of a hammering in the 5 years. 
I appreciate that you question relates to the need to renew the water pump at the same time, and my personal view would be:- 

If you are getting the whole job done at Audi then I would say it’s reasonable to retain your current water pump, if your anticipated annual mileage is going to be what you are doing now. 
If you are going to get this done away from Audi, using quality aftermarket parts, then I would certainly not use an aftermarket pump, in preference to not renewing yours. 
Summary:- I don’t think you are putting yourself at too much risk  by not replacing the pump. 
If not retaining the  £300 in the bank isn’t of too much concern, and spending it on renewing the pump at Audi gives you peace of mind, then that’s great too. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth for your thoughts. I pretty much have only used the car for long runs eg. holidays. We tend to walk a lot locally rather than use the car whenever possible. I'm retired so don't need to use it for work runs! I have read on the Audi website that genuine Audi waterpumps are good for 100,00 miles whereas aftermarket ones only 30,000 so don't think I will change it! Cambelt & tensioner I think I will probably have done, for my own peace of mind, (reluctantly).Thanks again. Regards,

Nick.