Warning light problems since new

Greycat001

I bought a brand new A1 November 2019, almost straight away the engine warning light appeared. Not all the time and not in specific circumstances. I took it into the main dealer three times each time they told me the computer said no.  The display was telling me to drive to the main dealer. I contacted head office who booked it in again where they found 

Fuel Delivery Error.

This was fixed with a new sensor.

Now the car has been in again with another warning light and the computer says EVAP Emission Control System incorrect. Again this warning light is not coming on all the time.

The car is six months out of warranty and has done 10,000 miles.

What does everyone think? 

I'd like to think there should be some good will from Audi as it's not a component that should fail 6 months out of warranty unless you've done galactic mileage of course. Which you haven't 

Hello Elaine,

Petrol or diesel? 10k miles in 3 and a half years is extremely low mileage, and is likely to give rise to such issues due to its lack of  a ‘good run’ .

Before spending out, I would put in a few gallons of non-supermarket fuel, and get a family member/friendly neighbour to give it a good ‘ Italian tune’ - which means driving it at higher than normal revs on a good distance run - making the car work for its living! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried Gareth's suggestion and the light did go out and stayed out for 2 days. Then after sitting on the drive for 2 more days it came back on again. Not sure where to go from here.

• 3 months later...

been back to Audi who are now saying the activated charcoal container might need replacing. Has anyone here heard of this? The car is 3 and a half years old and only done 11,000 miles.

So fed up with this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

This is going to be my next step, I was having a conversation with their business manager today and they are going to have another look at it. I did ask for goodwill and he said they would have to see what Audi says!

Hello Elaine,

Sorry to hear about another issue with the car, and apologies in advance for what will appear to be a pessimistic reply, but I felt it may help to gather your homework and thoughts on this now 3 1/2 year old car, that you intend to report to the Ombudsman. 
It can be (rightly?) argued that you have ‘put up’ with this car for such a period of time, that it’s warranty expired some 6 months ago. Others might have put up an official complaint a long time ago. 
I could also be argued that this EVAP issue is a new issue which has occurred close to the end of its warranty period. On a positive note, if it occurred and was reported within the 3 year period, Audi should rectify this issue at their cost. I too, would not be too impressed with this car and its 10k service, but such low annual mileage can take its toll on vehicles used for short runs. 
‘Business manager having a look at it’ could boil down to giving you the best part exchange offer they can come up with against the purchase of a new vehicle. 
As I say Elaine, apologies for the pessimistic views, but at least it allows food for thought. 
Let’s hope for an acceptable outcome - please keep us informed on how you get on. 
Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Can we take it the car has now had 3 annual services at your Audi dealership? 

Hi Gareth, Yes, the car has had the services expect the last one which was due in June. Unfortunately due to personal health circumstances I have been unable to drive the car to Audi. ( I have explained all of this to Audi.)  

Surely if this car is not suitable for short runs this should have been pointed out to me before I bought it?

I have spent so much of my time and wasted lots of my holiday from work going backwards and forwards to Audi, not to mention the emails and phone calls.

This really is not acceptable.

I wish I had never bought this car and the worst thing is my husband advised me not to.

Many thanks Elaine,

Hopefully not seen as patronising, but I do feel for you, since (to me) you seem to have fallen victim to your own patience - which understandably is now running out some 3 1/2 years down the line - most would have started shouting and making a fuss an awful long time ago, and perhaps this is where your patience may have let you down. 
Let’s hope Audi, and/or the dealership reciprocate your patience. 
I’m certainly not claiming the car isn’t suitable for short runs Elaine, but only that such usage does come with understandable downsides, possibly including the fact that the car seldom getting up to its optimum operating conditions. 

Couldn’t possibly comment on your last paragraph! - except I take it he will now be offering you his full support and assistance in getting out of this in the best way possible. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.