2007 8P 1.6i Power Steering Whine - Prognosis

mkrbeck

My son recently brought a 1.6i 8P. "Dad the steering whines a bit when parking is that a problem ?" "Nah probably needs some fluid. Ah wheres the fluid reservoir then ??"

So i have googled & found out its electric power steering, & its not uncommon to have problem with such. It whines sometimes maneuvering but he says its ok driving normally. My question to the no-doubt resident A3 guru's on this forum, and owners who have experienced this,  what is the likely prognosis for such, whats the detailed cause here, could the electric steering soldier on for years with a bit of whine when maneuvering at slow speeds, or is it a known problem that is likely to get worse over time ? 

thnks

Martyn

Hello Martyn,

Thanks for joining and being in touch.
Apologies for asking questions, but is the situation worse following morning start ups, or is the severity much the same under all usage conditions? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Gareth

asked my son - its not any worse in the mornings than at any other time. And he tells me it is intermittent. All thoughts welcome

thnks

Hello Martyn,

You would need to get it check via. a reasonably professional test - say at Halfords - rather then just with a DIY multimeter.

Kind regards,

Gareth.m