Ad Blue recommendations

Rob G

My (new to me) A4 has the 190 TDI ultra engine. Just wondering if there’s a favoured brand of Ad Blue to use and if I should add 5 litres per 5k miles or just wait for the warning and add 10 litres then? 

Planning to buy a filler/spout if that’s a sensible thing to do or can I just make do with the one that comes with the Ad Blue itself? 

Have seen a few posts about re mapping if the system itself fails but will cross that particular bridge if and when it happens. 

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

My (new to me) A4 has the 190 TDI ultra engine. Just wondering if there’s a favoured brand of Ad Blue to use and if I should add 5 litres per 5k miles or just wait for the warning and add 10 litres then? 

Planning to buy a filler/spout if that’s a sensible thing to do or can I just make do with the one that comes with the Ad Blue itself? 

Have seen a few posts about re mapping if the system itself fails but will cross that particular bridge if and when it happens. 

Hi you have to wait for the light to come on then add ten litres, personally I have found the best one is Yara from Halfords and apparently is the purest available, its in 3.5 litre pouches and its spout system ensures minimal spill unlike a lot of the brands I have used, leaving it until the light is on ensures you have used the existing fill and helps prevent crystals which kills the system.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 9:57 PM, Laurentiu said:

Don't wait till light is come on because after you refill is possible to don't turn off, 1 or 2 time per year use a ad blue additive who prevent cristalization 

Hi the information I gave came from a BMW technician and most types of higher purity adblue already has anti crystal additive in it, BUT as it ages it loses its protection that is why most manufacturers recommend a complete drain down and flush every two years for low milage vehicles.

Steve.

4 hours ago, Laurentiu said:

Yes is your opinion,brand ad blue is same like brand oil ,is depends about people knowledge and trust 

Hi its an opinion based on FACT not something thats come off of YouTube, allied to the fact that the opinion comes from myself who uses more Adblue/oil in a year than you would in ten years its a fair probability that having had no problems with either and the poster has the same car, it will work well.

Steve.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:58 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi you have to wait for the light to come on then add ten litres, personally I have found the best one is Yara from Halfords and apparently is the purest available, its in 3.5 litre pouches and its spout system ensures minimal spill unlike a lot of the brands I have used, leaving it until the light is on ensures you have used the existing fill and helps prevent crystals which kills the system.

Steve.

Went with your suggestion of Yara Ad Blue Steve. PSA for anyone following, Halfords have 3 x pouch’s for £19.98 at the moment. 
Got the dash message to add ‘at least’ 6 litres within 1500 miles yesterday so I’m already 2 down. I have done about 1000 miles in a couple of weeks so I’ll be interested to see how much I’m using. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rob G said:

Went with your suggestion of Yara Ad Blue Steve. PSA for anyone following, Halfords have 3 x pouch’s for £19.98 at the moment. 
Got the dash message to add ‘at least’ 6 litres within 1500 miles yesterday so I’m already 2 down. I have done about 1000 miles in a couple of weeks so I’ll be interested to see how much I’m using. 

Hi it should be a lot less please report back your findings, I have found it to be excellent and am doing about 900 miles a week as a taxi so therefore I felt in a small way qualified to give my opinion on what I thought best, I never recommend a product unless I have really tried it and we are talking months and many miles, I wish you luck.

Steve.

• Thanks 1