Service - Next Inspection Due

willie6671

Just had my 2017 Audi A4 serviced at my local dealership.

On checking that the service indicator was reset, I noticed it's mentioned next service due in 3500 miles.

I was asked that the spark plugs and air filter was to be replaced and I said this is something that I will do .

What are your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Willie 

PXL_20230710_113217863.MP~3.jpg

PXL_20230706_081701024.jpg

Hello William,

What mileage has the car covered, and what is your current annual mileage? 
I notice you declined the plugs and brake fluid renewal, so I wonder if next service coincides with a timed brake fluid change -? 
Noticing that you change the air filter and plugs yourself, to understandably save some funds, it seems a little odd why you still have this 6 year old car serviced by the expensive route at a main dealer. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Car has 56500 miles and I cover about 6000 miles per year 

I had purchased the car privately last Oct but purchased the "Audi all in" package separately ( included 2 X services and 2yrs warranty), thought £30 per month made good sense. Car was in last week for a broken rear coil spring (fixed under warranty) and the pending August service was done during this time.

Next service states 700 days or 18500miles with inspection states 3500miles, which would be approx 6months time.

The Car MOT is due in Nov, in Northern Ireland this is done by our local government run center which differs from GB

What the difference between Service and inspection and should the schedule not be similar mileage / date?

For what it’s worth, I think the service schedule for newer Audis is a a complete joke. Try finding a print out or web page that tells you what is involved for each type of service. I’ll be sticking to 10k miles or 12 months. Two years between services… not on my watch it won’t. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willie6671 said:

Car has 56500 miles and I cover about 6000 miles per year 

I had purchased the car privately last Oct but purchased the "Audi all in" package separately ( included 2 X services and 2yrs warranty), thought £30 per month made good sense. Car was in last week for a broken rear coil spring (fixed under warranty) and the pending August service was done during this time.

Next service states 700 days or 18500miles with inspection states 3500miles, which would be approx 6months time.

The Car MOT is due in Nov, in Northern Ireland this is done by our local government run center which differs from GB

What the difference between Service and inspection and should the schedule not be similar mileage / date?

Hi the inspection will always be at different intervals, the inspection is where they walk all round the car trying to invent things to do with graphic pictures of brake pads that are 50% worn and any clips missing from the shielding underneath, which they didn't put back when they serviced it, then you will have the suspension bushes look worn, this is all in the name of drumming up work with labour charges at £100+, the easiest thing to do is using either VCDS or OBD ELEVEN go in to the menu and reset the inspection milage to 00 in each box as I did anti never appears again, I did mine at 60k and it now has over 160k and still no sign of the inspection warning, as Gareth said why are you using a main dealer.

Steve.

4 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the inspection will always be at different intervals, the inspection is where they walk all round the car trying to invent things to do with graphic pictures of brake pads that are 50% worn and any clips missing from the shielding underneath, which they didn't put back when they serviced it, then you will have the suspension bushes look worn, this is all in the name of drumming up work with labour charges at £100+, the easiest thing to do is using either VCDS or OBD ELEVEN go in to the menu and reset the inspection milage to 00 in each box as I did anti never appears again, I did mine at 60k and it now has over 160k and still no sign of the inspection warning, as Gareth said why are you using a main dealer.

Steve.

But you still get the oil service countdown ?

15 minutes ago, CraigR1977 said:

But you still get the oil service countdown ?

Hi yes that bit is only changeable between 9k/18k so you can't delete that, personally I prefer 9k intervals as by then the filters are knackered and from experience I have found it best policy to change oil/filters at that milage please see the filter on the left after 9k you will get the general idea about the filth that accumulates within that milage.

Steve.

IMG_20220722_164701_resized_20220725_063651717.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi yes that bit is only changeable between 9k/18k so you can't delete that, personally I prefer 9k intervals as by then the filters are knackered and from experience I have found it best policy to change oil/filters at that milage please see the filter on the left after 9k you will get the general idea about the filth that accumulates within that milage.

Steve.

IMG_20220722_164701_resized_20220725_063651717.jpg

Absolutely agree with you Steve.  It’s nuts. You could have a car on the flexible service plan getting new oil and filters every 18 to 24 months and it’ll be sold with a full history. Yet if the same car was put on fixed service plan it theoretically could have had more services, but been 6 months late on a couple and it wouldn’t have a full history. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CraigR1977 said:

Absolutely agree with you Steve.  It’s nuts. You could have a car on the flexible service plan getting new oil and filters every 18 to 24 months and it’ll be sold with a full history. Yet if the same car was put on fixed service plan it theoretically could have had more services, but been 6 months late on a couple and it wouldn’t have a full history. 

Hi I have been around cars many years and never been a fan of extended service intervals that are north of 10k, I am privileged to know a few  car engineers who work for manufacturers one of whom took me as a guest to an engine oil producers main testing lab for their products, the one thing I learned was that modern engine oil is far better than say twenty years ago but the common denominator is the oil turning black, a lot of this is carbon which the oil suspends to render it harmless, this carbon which is abrasive in oils having done over 10k will start to become critical so imagine that lot in another 9k on top, better to have lots of services and a non worn engine, far better selling point, in essence if you can't do the service at 9k and it runs 1500 miles past no big deal.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments. Will see what happens in 3500miles. If inspection light comes up I will reset this with my OBDII tool. Will continue to get car serviced every 12months, which is approx 7k miles

• Like 2