Alexa Integration only works sometimes

Frequently, Alexa Integration loses connection to Amazon somehow and reverts to a barely-functional version of Audi's own voice control. This is identified by Alexa answering (but in the Audi voice) with "Alexa, to use Alexa you can say things like Alexa what’s my flash briefing..." In what appears to be a "disconnected" mode, you can only do the same as you could with the Audi voice control.

When Alexa is connected correctly, you can ask Alexa almost anything you can with a normal Alexa unit in the home. "Alexa, take a note" is REALLY helpful in the car, and I also use "Alexa Open/Close the garage door" and "Alexa turn on the garage lights / floodlights / etc" with home integration devices.

As evidenced here: https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/alexa-works-maybe-20-of-the-time.4495/ others have the same problem.

It's not unique to my car, it's a software defect in the MMI - I suspect that if the connection to Amazon's services is not established when the MMI first fires up, it doesn't recover.

A reboot of the MMI will fix (it takes about 5 minutes before everything comes back online) but the next time you start the car, it could be broken again or might work.

I'm interested in gathering feedback from others who have this issue across different models with Alexa integration and reporting directly to Audi and my local dealer.

Do others have this problem please?

• 2 months later...

Yes, I have the same on my new A3 saloon (reg 1 Sept) and apparently it has the latest software version for the MMI.
Very frustrating if you’ve bought an expensive Data Plan from Cubic (I’m trialling the 90 day free 3Gb Plan at present). Audi Connect seem not to accept this is a problem.

Same problem with my new 2023 A5 Cabriolet.  Alexa only works when it wants to.  I have tried resetting, loging in and out and in and out...  Nothing works.  Has a mind of its own.  My Alexa App always shows Audi Alexa Integration as offline even when the car is running.

I'm beginning to think that unless the car has good mobile data reception on the network that Audi use via Cubic Telecom (EE it seems in the UK), then the MMI Alexa software goes into "sulk" mode and just gives the silly "ask me for your flash briefing mode". This then seems to last until an area of good reception is entered and then Alexa starts to behave normally after a few minutes. 

If I start my car in an area where there is no mobile data reception, then it takes ages for the system to recover.

It still doesn't explain why the Alexa App says "offline" unless it also takes some time to settle out. However when Alexa does work, the App still says "offline".

All very odd.

Ceratinly not "vorsprung durch technik"

p.s I've also tried soft restarts, removing Alexa and reconnecting, but it makes no difference. I really think this is associated with a mobile data network connection issue that the car's MMI software can't handle properly.

In the UK, Audi's "Digital Services" helpline don't (1) understand the issue and (2) think there is no problem. Really?

What do they say in the U.S.?

On 10/6/2023 at 2:49 PM, Ivor Kelly said:

p.s I've also tried soft restarts, removing Alexa and reconnecting, but it makes no difference. I really think this is associated with a mobile data network connection issue that the car's MMI software can't handle properly.

In the UK, Audi's "Digital Services" helpline don't (1) understand the issue and (2) think there is no problem. Really?

What do they say in the U.S.?

In the USA I have two cases open and they don’t seem that bothered. 

Apologies for the useless response to these posts, but the complexity of these modern systems always leads to issues of discontent - proportional to the extra complexity. 
Harking back to the days of many cars not having radios, and the passenger complaining about that lack, the stock reply was

‘Just hold the end of the aerial cable and sing!’. 

Life was much more simple then! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks everyone! This is enough for me to start a complaint with Audi UK, I will see if I can work up the enthusiasm for it...  🙂

• Like 1